Don't for get to put in for your moose permit

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
Nice un !!! How far from the road ?
About 600 yards in. Had a heck of time getting him out. We were still working on it the next morning when about 150 yards left to the road, the chainsaw winch gave out. Just then a truck load of nice older guys happened by, and it wasn't their first rodeo. They had a quarter mile of pulling rope spooled up on their front bumper and dozens of snatch blocks. They had that 980lb bull out of the woods and onto our trailer before I was even finished catching my breath.

GLA

Commander
nice
no luck for me yet, 33 yrs and counting
more bonus points than brains at this point
I don't think Maine likes me

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
Ha Ha funny how some of those Older guys have their shit together. :p
I guess the story was that their families had been moose hunting together for generations and that every year someone in the extended friends/family is drawn and a bunch of them always go to help, so for most of us moose hunting is once in a lifetime type of thing, if your lucky; but by everyone working together and supporting each other these guys got to be old hands at it. It was a very cool day.

We called in a bull on the first day and he just vanished right in front of your eyes. It was pretty crazy. Then on the third day of the hunt we stalked in on some fresh tracks we saw on the logging road and followed them to a wallowing area. Once we called he immediately responded and came in quick. Turned broadside to us at 20 yards and gave us an easy shot. By brother shot, then I shot, then by brothers gun jammed and moose still hadn't moved or even reacted to being shot twice, so I shot him again. He just slowly went down right were he was standing.

That shed I found is a funny story. I was asleep in the back seat of my brothers truck as we were rolling the roads looking for sign. I kid you not, I was actually dreaming about what it would be like to find a shed, and when I opened my eyes right there on the bank on the side of the road was a shed! I started yelling for my brother to stop, he thought I had seen a bull and couldn't figure out why I had jumped out of the truck and was running 30 yards back behind us until I grabbed the antler and held it up!

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
Another pic of him once we got him to the road. Wish the guys that helped would have slowed down for a pic but they were all business and on a mission to get there own bull. They were gone before I even thought to ask for a group pic.
IMG_2298.JPG

stumpstalker

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
22-ft. Tripp Angler inboard
Thanks, MAArcher.

People have been known, under high-pressure circumstances, to eject a whole magazine of rounds without pulling the trigger once, believing that they are actually shooting.

Not that your brother, or, um, we, would ever do that.

Snake8

Commander
I havent looked into it, how hard is it to get a tag for moose in Maine? Im mostly in VT where its basically impossible even though I have more moose than deer on my hunting property.

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
I havent looked into it, how hard is it to get a tag for moose in Maine? Im mostly in VT where its basically impossible even though I have more moose than deer on my hunting property.
About 4% chance of getting a permit for a non-resident.

Top Bottom