Dow Tuff/R insulation.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
I never used it for sound proofing........but if it works i would be all in for it...at 39.99 a sheet....it's a lot cheaper then sound down...lol

clementine

Lieutenant
Boat Make
18' Levy
It's probably not going to be too effective, you really need mass to block sound.

starrfish

Commander
Boat Make
35 duffy
at sound down you used to be able to go there and buy cutoffs & pieces,, we filled a truckbed for pretty cheap..that was a few years ago, but still worth a call. its great stuff.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
sound to vibration to heat. A roll of double coverage shingle would work better.

RKrough

Commander
Boat Make
Midland 19
Tuff-R will help keep you warm or cool but it won't do shit for sound. My whole house is covered with it. I thought it would help with street noise, it didn't.

Blacktide

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Yea don't forget the foam is made with some kind of fibers in it. You don't want that shit floating around your engine box.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I realize that and agree 100%
But ask yourself this question.
Why can't they come up with a material Lightweight and give the same performance as sounddown ?

I removed the pieces of sounddown from the inside of my old engine box (am planning to make a new box from Nicacore)
Time is short and still plenty left to do if I hope to be in the water 1st week of june so a new Nidacore engine box will be made up when I have time (working on a design to incorporate tackle station, storage and seating ) so I cut the old plywood box down in height from 18 inches high to 12 so far (waiting on word for custom exhaust elbow so I can get the box height down lower)
Those pieces of sounddown I removed (they will be reused) are friggin heavy !!!

Ronnie,
Contact Ken Flower I believe he has a little something something that will work for you that is a lot cheaper than sound down. It is similar to the stuff he put in my boat and it is great.

Kaiser

Lieutenant Commander
the best way to block sound transmission is with high density material. Rmax foam has none. Often in buildings they use 2-4 layers of 5/8 drywall to block sound and that is crushed up gypsum(rock) so it is a cheap way to do it.

sound down is some sort of high density synthetic material that is unique in that it is not crazy heavy but not cheap.

in industrial applications a sound booth around a machine is often a perforated corogated sheet metal with 4" of rock wool behind it so the sound gets absorbed in the rock wool. i once saw a planer running 8' 2x4s at 3 per second and it was whisper quiet with a booth like this.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.
Last edited:

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I'm going to give this a shot as I have nothing to loose other than a few gallons of resin & a bit of Matt.
Will put pieces of SoundDown aside for later use ( don't want to cut up the SoundDown smaller.
The old engine is going into a dumpster once I make a new one out of Nidacore.
Will be a lot easier using the old box to figure out the design for the new one also.

I would think Nidacore panels got to have some sound deading advantage over 3/4 plywood.
Anyone agree ?

No doubt the nidacore will reduce sound more than plywood

Kaiser

Lieutenant Commander
the sound waves will be better absorbed by nidas porosity. sound will bounce off 3/4" plywood

however if you glass over either you would need some pretty high tech instruments to calculate the difference.

Sound will bounce off the glass and the density difference will be mute in just 3/4" of thickness

maineguides

Lieutenant Commander
The foam won't work for sound deadening. I had my addition on my house insulated with closed cell foam nsulation and the salesman told me one disadvantage was that I'll be able to hear outside noise a lot louder.
He wasn't lying!!

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
if U want to quiet it down inside the house. go get a reminant of the heaviest densiest carpet u can find on the cheap and throw that shit on the floor of the house.

Top Bottom