Downeast 101

CMR

Lieutenant
Boat Make
D. Hylan 29’ Beals Island
Hello,

Lurking for a while. I’m about as new as new can get & have to start somewhere.

In the market for a used DE boat for coastal Maine recreational use. Is there a newbie thread with info on buying considerations and do’s/don’ts when evaluating boats? E.g. Inspection/surveys, ownership history, prior insurance claims, wood vs. fiberglass, engine hrs, use an agent, etc?

I’ve seen quite a few boats spanning a wide range of prices & want to be informed once I find something of interest. But right now I don’t know what I don’t know, if that makes sense

Any and all comments are welcome.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Maybe best if you use the "search" function with a keyword of interest to you and read through the various topics and posts.

Most ALL you are yearning to learn has been posted here on the forum over the past 24 months. :D

FWIW, Bill D

CMR

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Thanks Bill, I'll bang out some searches.

F/V 1st Team, 30' - 36' looks to be the right size. I will not be heading out too far or overnighting, am not concerned with speed & am most interested in a reliability and safety for a 1st time boat owner.

For reference, this is somthing that caught my eye:

2007 Smith Lobster Yacht -Fully updated and 2011 Engine Power Boat For

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
CMR, welcome to the forum..what is your price range?

CMR

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Yeah it’s a woodie... & wood, fiberglass or fiberglass over wood is one of my biggest questions. I know fiberglass is better but not sure how much better. If a woodie was recently restored and had a solid survey is it still a big mistake?

& woodies seem more in my price range (tops out around $50K).

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Yeah it’s a woodie... & wood, fiberglass or fiberglass over wood is one of my biggest questions. I know fiberglass is better but not sure how much better. If a woodie was recently restored and had a solid survey is it still a big mistake?

& woodies seem more in my price range (tops out around $50K).

If you like scraping, painting, looking for rot not to mention finding a insurance co that will cover a woodie and some marina's won't haul a woodie go ahead and buy one. I've had a few and never again ! Ever hear of a glass boat springing a plank ??

Last edited:

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
That Arno Day Deer Isle 30 is sweet looking and built by a well know builder but unless you have extensive experience with wooden boat construction you might be well advised to think twice. Also, some marinas or yards do not allow woodies and many lenders won't touch them. Most lenders won't touch boats more than 30 years old, glass, wood or otherwise. There are some good brokers out there that can help you find a good fit. It doesn't cost you anything to ask a broker for some options but you must listen carefully and ask good questions, they can't read minds but the good ones are good at finding what you want. At the end of the day they are interested in selling you a boat because that is how they make money and they can help with some the more perplexing issues that are not always obvious until you have jumped in with both feet. If you start talking to a broker and he or she begins to drool like a dog waiting for dinner then take a hike and find another one. There are a lot of good one out there. There is an association called YBAA that is an industry association developed to help consumers feel more comfortable with a broker. Brokers that have passed some level of testing and are committed to a written code of ethics and they are recognized by the organization as a Certified Professional Yacht Broker, CPYB. No guarantees but they do have more to lose if they act in an unethical manner, they have to spend time and money to be a member, gain and maintain certification. You can find that organization on the web. Most brokers split commissions with the listing broker. The commissions come from the seller, not you, the buyer. If the broker has the listing and there is not another broker involved then they get all of the commission so they do have some incentive to direct you towards one of their listings. You can also call a knowledgeable surveyor and ask then over the phone if they know a specific boat or type of boat and what to look for. When you go to survey the surveyor is your paid agent and his first responsibility to you, his client, but at that point you will have made a big commitment in time and money. Surveyors can do a walk through or pre-purchase survey in the water without a sea trial or out of the water without a sea trial. Ask them about that, it is usually cheaper than a full survey that involves a haul out/ launch, sea trial and operation of all systems. They will often credit you for that time if you move forward on that boat with them for a full survey. The folks on this forum are knowledgeable to the nth degree and fun to correspond with too so you have picked a good place to ask questions. Hope that my lengthy tome helps too.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Things to look for in a used DE

Things to look for in a used DE
Fiberglass tanks a big plus amount 150 to 200 gallons max.
Hull is it cord or solid glass> Cord hulls are fine but require a much closer survey.
Propeller aperture-for a used DE @ 28 to 30' you should look at a vessel that can fit a 22" wheel or larger. 4 blades a mus
Shafting-minimum size should be 1.5 ss-a22 1.75 is better
Rudder-bronze or Stainless
Make sure she is bonded.
Windows a big expense look for metal frames side opening windows and solid fixed front windows. Tint is fine on the sides only.
Sea test make sure the motor gets its rated RPMs or more & at WOT make sure the engine temperatures stay in the rated temperature range.
Power - diesel only with anywhere from 300 to 350 HP. Stick with the big guns like Cummins, Yanmar, CAT, Volvo.
Hull design three to chose from Hard Chine like a JC or Wesmac, Builtdown like a Duffy or skeg design like a Beal.
Boats I like in your size range but not in order; JC 31, Seaway or BHM 28, 31 Duffy, 31 BHM, 30 RP
At the size you are looking at a F/B is not recommended keep the vessel low.
A raise deck as apposed to a motor box is also more desirable.
Cockpit deck; look for soft spots, a gentle crown is always nice to keep things dry, scuppers should be at least 4" above the water line & dry deck is always nice.

Best of luck in your search.

OLD BAY

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38
Top Bottom