First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Not the first guy to do that there. That place is tough, backlit bad when you come in and the Jetty's are under on the moon. (which we are on now). I was clenched up many a night coming in there. But I really don't know how come he was at speed. There is a well marked channel and that Jetty (if it is the one that hooks into Wychmere?) is pretty well west of the channel. Almost seems like and autopilot deal. Hope he is ok

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Many a night fishing the BB buoy I turned the pilot off to keep myself awake, just sayin.....shit happens. The thing that makes no sense is going fast at that location. You are way north of the point that you should be at an idle

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
No sense in second guessing, it will not change a thing. Lets all try and remember that someone on here knows who this happened to and I am sure they are going to be unusually sensitive right now. If nothing else we can all learn a little something from this, when bad things like this happens "education" is always the goal. More than likely we have all been in a tight spot or two, sometimes with good results and sometimes with bad.

Just my opinion.

Blacktide

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Many a night fishing the BB buoy I turned the pilot off to keep myself awake, just sayin.....shit happens. The thing that makes no sense is going fast at that location. You are way north of the point that you should be at an idle

They were outbound. I hope nobody was hurt too bad, quite a shame.

Hammer Slammer

Commander
Boat Make
35 Duffy
i saw the boat today, there is not much damage from the exterior considering the way it was perched up there.
At 1 pm there was only about a foot of break water showing. Shit happens

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
From what I heard they were not going fast, rocks were underwater and they were having electronics issues. It was Friday night which was also the full moon. Sucks no matter how you look at it.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
Boat was not headed east when it hit the ledge, it may have settled to the SW. I read the investigation and the new captain (no longer employed there), picked the wrong time and side to pass an outbound tug and barge. It just shows you whenever you are unsure of EXACTLY where you are to stop and determine your position. Not saying this is the case with the DE but it was with the whale watching vessel which resulted in a mass casualty rescue. I have been there (aground) myself, many years ago before GPS and sitting on Brewster Spit in the thickest of fog having only a compass, depth sounder (flasher) and radar. Kind of embarressing in a 41 boat with a big red stripe on the bow. Ego and pride were hurt but no one else was and a few red buoys were placed in Black Rock Channel after the buoy tenderalso ran aground there. No bouys, big spit, no GPS, thick fog, aground, lesson learned.

Just hope everyone is OK after the incident after hitting the jetty.

Respectfully,

Dave

I guess shit happens !
This was a few years ago in Boston harbor on a beautiful sunny afternoon.
No fog, rain, ect.......... Anyone who has run a boat in Boston harbor for any amount of time would & should know about this ledge (Devils Back)
Guess there were 2 "professional" captains aboard. Not sure what they were doing at the time they went outside the channel. On top of it they were supposed to be heading out of the harbor (east)
Boat was going SW when it hit the ledge.

Whale-Watching Tour Boat Hits Ledge | BoatTEST.com

Top Bottom