Downeast Offshore Guys- Question

Capt. Rick

1st Mate
Boat Make
31 RP Willis Beal
As I was crawling around the bilge doing some maintenance, I began to think about this.... Most of my fishing trips are inshore, but there are times when we steam out 60 plus miles off the beach..... Single diesel, yea very reliable, always have spare fuel filters, impellers, belts, fluids, diving mask, sat phone, etc. aside from standard safety equip.... I was wondering if the raw water pump can fail? I have had mine start to leak badly and changed a seal (work done dockside), but can a raw water pump fail or seize up? Also, starters..... on my engine the starter is pretty high up, does not get rusted.... anyone have one quit on them while offshore? Just wondering what you offshore guys carry in your bag of tricks?

traditions

Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
I had the input shaft on my raw water pump snap off last summer with 1000 hrs on it. After, I heard that it had happened before on other Cummins. I could have done some plumbing and ran off my pacer to cool the engine, and got home under my own power. I just got a tow in that was under an hour. Its good to have some spare hose and fittings of different sizes aboard.

Goodbye

Captain
Raw water pump

I plan on pushing my fishing further offshore with mulitple day trips. I am assembling a spare parts kit and a spare raw water pump will be in there. The housing can go but more likely it will be an impeller. But I've been told its easier to change the whole pump out in a pinch. Also plan on a raw water flow alarm to keep an eye on this part of the system.

31jcptown

1st Mate
Boat Make
91 31 JC P-Town
Offshore

As I was crawling around the bilge doing some maintenance, I began to think about this.... Most of my fishing trips are inshore, but there are times when we steam out 60 plus miles off the beach..... Single diesel, yea very reliable, always have spare fuel filters, impellers, belts, fluids, diving mask, sat phone, etc. aside from standard safety equip.... I was wondering if the raw water pump can fail? I have had mine start to leak badly and changed a seal (work done dockside), but can a raw water pump fail or seize up? Also, starters..... on my engine the starter is pretty high up, does not get rusted.... anyone have one quit on them while offshore? Just wondering what you offshore guys carry in your bag of tricks?

I learned a longtime ago and continue this on my boat today start the motor in the beginning of the trip and don't shut it down till she's tied up in the slip when your done YOU WILL NEVER H AVE TO WORRIE ABOUT THE STARTER....

MDI45

Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Rick I snapped a shaft on my raw water pump on my Cat like Traditions ....but I used my 17A rule 3700 gal all purpose pump to get around.....

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I stay inshore but have alternator, starter, filters, water pumps, belt and idler pulleys in my bag. My take is that they will eventually go so might as well buy them now and have them ready. Spare prop/nuts too plus key.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Anything mechanical can break, and anything electrical can fry. Seems like no matter what you do bring with you, the one thing you need is the one you left at home. So just be prepared to "McGuyver" your way home if need be, like MDI and traditions mentioned. On top of the obvious replacement parts, I like to keep a McGuyver kit on board that has duct tape, hose, clamps, duct tape, belts, duct tape, assorted screws, duct tape, assorted pipe fittings, a few c-clamps, and some duct tape just in case. Funny thing is that I don't have any ducts on my boat. :rolleyes:

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I have an adapter that is stepped and allows you to connect any size heater hose to any other size, starts at 3/4 and ends at 2", just cut it off where you need to. Think I got it at Napa but would def help in a tight spot.

How about storing parts? Any tricks?

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
I use shopping baskets (that magically appear every now and then on their own accord :rolleyes::rolleyes:) to keep extra items in. You can color-code them fairly easily since they come in a wide range of colors and they can hold quite a bit. Plus they're all plastic these days and that really helps keep the random spots of rust down.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Sure - I just duct tape everything in place! :D
That hose adapter sounds like a good thing to have on board.

backman

Commodore
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Awesome piece. I too have a Rule 3700 and have made the mental plan that I could somehow Mcgyver its 1.5" hose into my raw water system upstream of the failed pump if I had too. On y way to Autozone this weekend to pick up that connector - thanks!

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.woundupmarine.com
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

monktails

Deckhand
I carry a spare pump. For me I need to be able to finish my day fishing rather than just get home. I have made it home using washdown hose but for the 15 minutes it takes to change the pump i would rather have that insurance. I carry a few spare parts on the boat to be able to finish my trips and make it home in normal working conditions.

Capt. Rick

1st Mate
Boat Make
31 RP Willis Beal
Thanks for the responses guys...... guess I am going to price a spare raw water pump but I am very afraid (Volvo D6). True enough about not shutting down when far off.... going to see how much a starter is just of the hell of it... I like to shut down when we get on the hook, hard habit to break I suppose..... diesels can run fine with out an alternator, don't ask how I know this. MacGuyver... you bet - gotta have your bag of tricks!!
I like that hose adaptor - Trick!

MDI45

Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
great thread! i have a fitting on my raw water intake for flushing non-tox at the end of the season, you better believe ill be able to put my washdown hose on it in case of emergency before i splash! Great idea!
John,you might have to hook your wash down in front of your raw water pump...unless you take the impeller out.....with it in ...it will not allow the water to flow easy enough....when I did it I taped into the hose just after the pump....works like a charm

Badlatitude

Admiral
I learned a longtime ago and continue this on my boat today start the motor in the beginning of the trip and don't shut it down till she's tied up in the slip when your done YOU WILL NEVER H AVE TO WORRIE ABOUT THE STARTER....

I cant see how idling the main for days on end would be a good idea. I rather carry spare parts and emergency fix supplies. I can see maybe running the main on georges. But not on the hook

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.woundupmarine.com
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Top Bottom