Downeast Question

jj225

Lieutenant
Love the lines but have one big issue with these boats. Why do they make the gunnels so low? I understand from a lobstering point of view but from a fishing one they don't give you much feeling of safety when fighting a fish. Some of the boats I've been looking at have gunnels that are only about 24" or less. I'm used to at least 30" or more here on the west coast. I like to lean into the gunnel but knee high seems a tad low. You guys have any issues?

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
It mostly depends on the hull.You can only put the deck so low or you will have water on deck.Some people want the engine under the deck,or want room for storage under the deck,so the deck is put in higher.Some designs offer high sheer models where you can lower the deck and have higher rails.For lobstering its nice to have the combing just above the knee,so the traps on the rail are so that you dont have to bend down to pick lobsters from the traps.If the rails are to high you have to reach over the top of the traps.Also when its rough you arent staving your knee caps into the combing.

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
...You guys have any issues?

My good friend had the same boat I do. I have passenger rails around the cockpit, for your exact concerns. My friend without them, told me that he didn't want them "in the way" of fishing.

He was shark fishing with his father about 20 miles south of Long Island. They were bringing a mako in the boat, when his (70 year old) father went over the side and went for a swim in the chum slick :eek:.

I haven't had any problems... but I stick inshore with my little boat.

IMG_0287.jpg

jj225

Lieutenant
It's kind of interesting that a lot of east coast boats have low gunnels and west coast boats generally run higher. At least as far as non commercial boats go.

I guess the railing is a good option. I could live with it. Just need to find the right boat to bring back here. Good thing is my wife likes the downeast style lines too so she was an easy sell.

Suppose I should start another thread but how does the downeast hull with a hard chine handle in a following sea? This is a major issue with the fishing I do as the return trips are almost always downhill or quartering/downhill.

samson23

Lieutenant
Boat Make
ssamson23
spray rail ?

I have long thought about doing the very same thing with the passeger rails but like your friend was worried about them getting in the way . Can you still get to your rod holders, My parents are also around 70 and like sitting on the gunnel why they jig for cod , i'm guessing thats no longer an option?

my big question was the spray rail placement , when I'm clipping along at about 16-17 knots I get a big wave right about where you have your spray rail. Does that provide lift or did you put it there to knock down the spray?

thanks
Mike

My good friend had the same boat I do. I have passenger rails around the cockpit, for your exact concerns. My friend without them, told me that he didn't want them "in the way" of fishing.

He was shark fishing with his father about 20 miles south of Long Island. They were bringing a mako in the boat, when his (70 year old) father went over the side and went for a swim in the chum slick :eek:.

I haven't had any problems... but I stick inshore with my little boat.

IMG_0287.jpg

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
With the rails you can't sit on the gunnel. The rails have been on the boat since new, so I don't even realize that they are there. So, I would say they don't get in the way of the rod holders. I've never thought to myself "gosh I wish these rails weren't here".

The spray rails were installed by the factory, and they do knock down the spray (or they will again when I replace them :)).

Top Bottom