27 Terry Jason
Looking for pics of wheels and where to get them thanks

Lion's Paw

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.divehatteras.com
Boat Make
42 Duffy
He's right. Those spoke handles will poke you and they can leave a mark!
Best one I ever had was a vetus wheel that was a standard destroyer style but had a plastic pad moulded on the rim and down the spokes a bit. No cold hands and never slipped even with slimy fish goo on your hands.

Dano62

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
34' Wayne Beal
Yeah, that was my line of thinking. I've had one of the handles grab the pocket on my hooded sweatshirt a few times when I've been turning (not a problem with my oilskins on). The cleanliness factor is also a big one for me.

Brainey

Captain
First Name
Bill
Boat Make
43' Atkinson
Destroyer wheel for me too, although the other style looks cool...

IMG_5718.jpg

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
He's right. Those spoke handles will poke you and they can leave a mark!
Best one I ever had was a vetus wheel that was a standard destroyer style but had a plastic pad moulded on the rim and down the spokes a bit. No cold hands and never slipped even with slimy fish goo on your hands.

yep. It's on that same page in the Hamilton's catalogue, down the bottom on the left

Brainey

Captain
First Name
Bill
Boat Make
43' Atkinson
Not sure if its starboard but it is some sort of plastic - not my install but I like it.

CaptainDisko

Ensign
Rampage, would you mind posting a pic of the bench to starboard of your helm? I'd love to see how that piece works in that space. Thanks.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
What about the destroyer wheel with the suicide knob? It could get caught on slickers and or a pocket I suppose.

A suicide knob on my BHM would be just that. She's got power steering.

RAMPAGE88

Commander
I don't have any pics now,but will try to get some for you. I'ts a swing away seat post from P&E anchor hatches. It mounts to the bulkhead. For my close, inshore trips it usually stays just like it is with the leaning post pad on, quite comfortable with it 90 degrees off the bulkhead, you can also swing it out & rotate the pad 90 degrees & use it as a fwd facing leaning post. On longer trips I pop the pad off & put on a pompanette helm chair. Works great & tucks neatly out of the way. If you search some of my older posts on here there may be some pics that show it. Hope the explanation isn't too confusing......

Last edited:
Top Bottom