Downeast with steer in middle of windshield

Alison Tuna

Captain
Boat Make
Privateer
Would this drive you nuts? Cabin entrance is on starboard side... Steering station is in middle...

I'm not commercial pulling pots etc... I would use as a personal boat. Standing on motor box my head hits the ceiling slightly...

image.jpg

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Would think you would have to drive sitting and a swivel chair would be the way to go so you could be in any position you want.

Are you really tall or is the box really high? SOunds like a wierd setup

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Not sure if it would drive me nuts but thats only because I have never run a center mounted helm boat. One thing worth noting if considering a center mounted downeast or other POWER boat is that the highest portion of the boat that you need so see over is in the center unless you are only jogging along. Standing to port or starboard helps with visibility quite a bit. Sailboats run flat so center doesn't influence them much.

duxbait

Captain
I personally think that on a boat of that size (is that a 28 BHM?) it is an inefficient layout of the house to have the wheel in the center. That aside, I would have no issues driving from the cnter of the boat. Beam isn't wide enough to cause any visibility issues docking

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
I think the center helm would drive me nuts, but I KNOW the controls on the left side of the wheel would drive me nuts!!

cb34

Rear Admiral
wheel

BillD, much easier to pull your pots with starboard station:confused:

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
BillD, much easier to pull your pots with starboard station:confused:

CB34,You took the words from my head!

Gentlemen,

I enjoy sitting while driving. I'm not as young as you two. :p

I've pulled my 10 traps off a swim platform requiring a "crew" who were real good at tangling lines in the props and then after the addition of the ghetto davit having to "quickly move" from an elevated helm around a seat grabbing the hook pole while watching the buoy sail by. :(

This boat I bought is not big. The wheel, controls and hauler will ALL be within an easy reach.

And most importantly, if I find it doesn't work out, I'll move it around next winter!:D

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Sounds like you have thought it out already Bill, I should have known that. You do not miss much.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
My FL boat has a port helm and I find I am able to watch my "danger zone" more easily. A center helm should do the same thing.

Top Bottom