downeast ?

moetuna

Commander
I don't suppose 28 Albins are really considered downeast , eh ?
Interesting boats, great fuel , fast . Feal free to slap me if I'm out of line.:(

Captain
they handle like a piece of cake. The all have bow thrusters and are only 28ft long. Anyone who has problems docking a 28ft Albin needs to give up boating.

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
If you do buy one, double check the exhaust height to the turbo or exhaust manifold and be prepared to modify it.
28 Albin engine installs are very to the water line

Good advice Bill.

Coming from a guy that owned one / 28TE engine box model for 9 seasons .. "me" .. plenty of height on my 6BTA 370 and the Yanmars too. Flush decks are where it gets sketchy.

Same goes for the rudder .. plenty of rudder on the engine box build, not so on the flush deck. Long story why the rudder got cut down (I was there) .. but in essence the boat was originally designed for an engine box and against the architect's wishes Albin succumbed to management & consumer demand and lowered the engine shifted it forward and raised the deck (lost some freeboard) and create the flush deck. In my opinion, not the best idea, but Albin fit the demand and collected the checks. I haven't heard of anyone having issues of backflow to the turbo with this configuration and I spend a fair amount of time on the Albin Owners Group forum and know a couple of owners. Follow Bill's advice and check things out to know what you're getting into.

... and with the recent purchase of a single screw Albin 31TE with a skeg and a keel (she has a nice big rudder too!), I'm still a downeast wanna be :mrgreen:.

ERO83

Lieutenant
Albin

Isn't an Albin just a beefed up cape cod marine? I fish on a 26 CC w/ an inboard diesel (yanmar obviously) and I love that boat. My good buddy has owned it quite a while now and has had 0 problems. We go to the sword and other places pretty far from home and it always keeps us safe and dry. Granted I would much rather be in the 42' Beal!! Still nice to get out and buzz around in the CC.

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
The 26 CC by Albin was first built by Cape Cod Marine and sold to Albin Marine of Cos Cob with the factory in Portsmouth, RI. Not sure where the mold is now, though I have heard Cape Cod is back in possession.

Molds of the 28TE, 31TE (now called the 32TE/same mold), the 35TE and the 35 Command Bridge are now owned and built as Albin Boats out of Bristol, RI by C&C Marine the builder of NorthCoast Boats. A lot of turbulance at Albin Marine from late 2007 until a couple/ of years ago when these molds were picked picked up by C&C.

As production boats go the Albin is pretty well put together. Some are stripped, Some are loaded and most lay somewhere in between. When I searched for my cruise on used purchases, I found two boats that were loaded. The first with 89 hours on the clock, Cummins power which wasn't easy to find and the most recent, once again with Cummins power at 659 hours, NorthernLights genset and lots of refined upgrades. I'm pleased, but still find myself searching for that 34 to 36 ft. downeast that combines fishing and cruising comfort.

Ditchdigger

Rear Admiral
Albin

If you do buy one, double check the exhaust height to the turbo or exhaust manifold and be prepared to modify it.
28 Albin engine installs are very to the water line
Looked at one many years ago. loved it. New Cummins in it with under 500 hours. Thank God I had a Real Diesel mechanic look at it, and his opinion was it was a Bomb waiting to go off. Everything was new and pretty. How could that be ? VERY LITTLE DROP FROM THE TURBO TO THE EXHAUST TUBE AT THE STERN !! Guy got pissed off and insulted. Passed on it. Do a lot of research !!!! That would have been a $30,000.00 mistake . Get a knowledgeable diesel mechanic to go over EVERYTHING on the motor. Just my opinion of course.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom