Downeaster Newbie

Fishinado

Ensign
Hello All!

I'm the proud owner of an '86 Sisu 22' here in Los Angeles, where Downeasters are basically non-existent. I have 2 other boats, a 33 Donzi, and a 48 Sportfisher, and I have to say the Sisu is my favorite! Everywhere I go, people comment on how great she looks. She's got a 4cyl Volvo diesel set amidship, with a direct screw, full keel and rudder (as I'm sure you know). A brilliant design, almost unheard of on the "left" coast.

I bought her a few years back, when gas went sky high. Thought a smaller single diesel wold be nice to have for economy. Boy was I right!! Economy, ride, functionality, build quality are all the best that I've seen on any boat that I've had!!

I'm currently in the process of doing a full restoration/modification. I've done the hull up to the gunnel, now it's time to do the top. I'm torn about doing a classic style hard top, and a bimini with an arch. I'd like to know your thoughts.

I'm very excited about bringing this boat to life, and making her absolutely pristine. There are a number of add ons, mods, and features that I'd like to add, and I'd very much appreciate any tips, opinion and advice from you, the gurus of the Downeaster, the best boat design ever conceived!

Here are some before and after pics. I'd like to know what you think!

1753269_8.jpg

1753269_2.jpg

Sisu5-24.jpg

Sisucatalina.jpg

DBM

Commander
Lite User

Eastporter

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
I like your newly refreshed Sisu! Nice job! I think you should leave the top alone, and if you want a pilothouse model there are plenty out there if you want to sell yours and buy one. I have a pilothouse and love the all-weather ability of it.

Top Bottom