downeaster prices

pennh2o

Lieutenant Commander
I'm new to the downeaster world so bear with me. I've noticed that as far as used prices go, there are some boats that are much more expensive then others. From the time I have spent looking around the internet, I've noticed that companys like dyer, northern bay, and H&H are a lot more expensive then companys like Tjason, AJ, and BHM. Could you guys help me understand why such a big difference in price.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
IMO the hull/kit prices are pretty close but it depends on what shop finishes the boat and more on what the customer wants in the boat like power, generator, degree of finish/cabinetry, electronics, fish holds etc. Now this comes from a guy with a basic bare bones 29 H&H.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
I think what it has for power has a big influence on price. A boat with a worn out old gas engine, versus a well suited and maintained diesel with reasonable hours will make quite a difference in price, and for good reason

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
And for boats w/ diesels, those that will go fast command a much higher price. Generally they are the newer hulls and more horsepower costs, so there you go. 20 knot cruise is going to cost you right much more than 12 or 14 knots in a 30 to 45 foot boat.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Almost every builder custom builds to customers spec. So price depends on what it cost to build, The spread on pricing may also be due to the age and usage of the boat along with what was built into it. A 1990 h&h used lobster boat will not sell for the same price a 2012 h&h custom pleasure loaded with everything. Some of the old classics do hold their value.

Top Bottom