Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
The 1st photo is the DQX & #2 is the Dyna Quad. The DQX has a sexy look with more blade area. The Dyna Quad Blade area is .69 & the DQX is .735.
With that increase in blade area the QDX blade will swing more water. That is why when going from a Dyna Quad to a DQX you may need to reduce pitch.
I love the look of the wheel and many people are happy with them. On DE boats I still prefer the old style. However if you are going high HP with a large wheel that needs to have the pitch greater that the diameter. Then I would opt for the DQX.

Picture 4861.jpg

Picture 097.jpg

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
The 1st photo is the DQX & #2 is the Dyna Quad. The DQX has a sexy look with more blade area. The Dyna Quad Blade area is .69 & the DQX is .735.
With that increase in blade area the QDX blade will swing more water. That is why when going from a Dyna Quad to a DQX you may need to reduce pitch.
I love the look of the wheel and many people are happy with them. On DE boats I still prefer the old style. However if you are going high HP with a large wheel that needs to have the pitch greater that the diameter. Then I would opt for the DQX.

how'd you get yur sneakers the same color as the rug

Dr Dude

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH.. Piscataqua and Merrimack Rivers
Boat Make
27 H&H with Cummins QSB 5.9 480 power
Dr. Dude,

I run DQX 20X20.25 s on the Blackfin.

I also have a pr. of the equivalent Dyna Quads.

I've run both pr.on the boat.

The prop wash of the DQX is "impressive" compared to the Dyna Quads and I know the slippage is less with the DQX blade...I can feel it.

Hard to explain about the prop wash..I'd have to take videos of each.

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Duffy
It's amazing what you can learn on the site.
I was told by the local prop guru here in Michigan that they were essentially the same prop. I was also told that the DQX was a Canadian version of the Dyna Quad......go figure.
Thanks Capt. Larry for your explanation.

I can tell you one thing, buy them in Fla, much cheaper. I can give you the name of the place I got mine. They come class 1 outta the box.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
I don't wish to hijack the thread, but want to take the opportunity to ressurect a question I asked a while back, but got no answer. This concerns the DJX prop. Michigan wheel states. "The designs have been modified to better suit highly loaded and limited tip clearance applications."

What would make a prop be better suited to limited tip clearance applications?
How would it be better suited? Etc...

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
I don't wish to hijack the thread, but want to take the opportunity to ressurect a question I asked a while back, but got no answer. This concerns the DJX prop. Michigan wheel states. "The designs have been modified to better suit highly loaded and limited tip clearance applications."

What would make a prop be better suited to limited tip clearance applications?
How would it be better suited? Etc...
If tip clearance is an issue the QDX helps. The reason is that the field of the blade or the D.A.R is greater. In other words to keep it simple they make the blade larger in the middle. Therefore in theory a 23" diameter QDX would have about the same blade area as a Dyna Quad 24" diameter.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
So, if my 14" prop is a bit tight, I would not substitute it with a 14 DJX , but a 13"?

If I should be running a bigger one that the 14, then would I run the DJX 14, as it is closer to a 15?

Last edited:

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
So, if my 14" prop is a bit tight, I would not substitute it with a 14 DJX , but a 13"?

If I should be running a bigger one that the 14, then would I run the DJX 14, as it is closer to a 15?

OK if your DJX 14" is too close. Then use a 13" DJX but add 1" of pitch to the wheel. However I believe the smallest DJX is a 14". If the DJX is not available then you next option for a wheel would by a 13" Dyna Jet but ad 2" of pitch.

Last edited:

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
attachment.php

3/8" on a 23

1" on the top

Works pretty good, I haven't seen any downside so far

Last edited by a moderator:

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
20 ft dyer inboard launch
Yanmar 3gm30 v drive
2.61:1
14 x14 michigan DJ355
10 knots at a hair over 3600. Wot

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
20 ft dyer inboard launch
Yanmar 3gm30 v drive
2.61:1
14 x14 michigan DJ355
10 knots at a hair over 3600. Wot

You are currently running at 65% efficiency. Which is pretty low. I am not familiar with the boats boat design. Because you are already max on diameter & you have the DJX already it looks like you are as good as you can get.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
I don't have a DJX, just a regular old fashioned 3 blade.
Wondering if a DJX would help

It's like a small 20 ft fortier, if one existed

Last edited:

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
Larry,
Thanks for your help.
Do you think it would be worthwhile for me to try one of those DJX props?
And if so, a 14 or 13?

Top Bottom