Dr, Molly's Research

F/V Bad Influence

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Wayne Beal
I attended the Tuna research talk that Dr. Molly Lutcavage gave last thursday in Gloucester. Place was full. A lot of blue hair there and a few fishermen. Hope all the blue hair's have $$$ to donate to Molly's research and to support US.

As any of you know. Dr. Molly is the ONLY Scientest who actually LISTENS to the fishermen. It was her and the East Coast efforts that shoved NMFS's estimates up their kista, back in the day. It's because she listen's to fishermen that she is NOT getting any money from the feds. Anyway, her Large Pelagic Research center is in jeprody! U=MASS gives her squat. The owner of Virgin Airways just bought 6 Satalite tags for her.(at $4-6 grand each) The reason I mentioned the blue hairs ealier in my rant is that I hope she can squeeze some donations from them. Cause they have it and fishermen don't

Any thoughts?

Tommy

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
Do you know if the organization is a 501C?

Last edited:

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
Was supposed to be the, but I pooched it.

PinWheel

Lieutenant
Website
www.pinwheelgear.com
Boat Make
Provincial 45
Amazing all these people building "million dollar. Commercial luxury tuna boats". But no one can nut up and contribute some loot to help us fight for the internets of the fishery. I mean the herring boats crush us w lobbyist spending And they just received an increase in quota which is complete crap and we know they have been decimating the herring and mackerel for the last three weeks. And when they close the inside they will go wipe out the bait on georges. While the herring seiners clean up the inshore bottom. And Whiles Canada just say come on bait fish your safe here we ban those death destroying mid water boats All the other fish depend on you mr herring and we wanna catch those other fish so we Need you mr herring. Crap. We all need to contribute. I mean come on!

CaptLuke

Rear Admiral
Sounds like something Natgeo should be contributing to and advertising. It would probably get a great response, could even generate some cash flow from middle America who normally wouldn't be concerned with our fishery. I will be contributing myself.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
they are a very grateful group that is well worth supporting, besides the ABTA no one cares for real science in this fishery.

F/V Bad Influence

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Wayne Beal
Hi Don..hope your well. All I'm truing to say is that her group does not get the $ from the feds, because she goes AGAINST their mantra!

Bill N..you are so rite! saw two steaming accross bank yesterday heading back to Glouster...prob checking all the bait. (when do I get to SEE that project up close and personal?)

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
The problem with fisheries management is the general public (who actually own the resource) don't see the fish that are being taken. It's not like a national forest where if some logging operation overhavested the forest everyone would see it.

Everyone who's involved other than Mary Beth Tooley knows it's a travesty. Talk about a conflict of interest. :confused:

greg

Captain
The problem with fisheries management is the general public (who actually own the resource) don't see the fish that are being taken. It's not like a national forest where if some logging operation overhavested the forest everyone would see it.

Everyone who's involved other than Mary Beth Tooley knows it's a travesty. Talk about a conflict of interest. :confused:

Can anyone name ANY other industry where the regulators are allowed to be the regulated parties? This isn't a case where a former ceo or owner is retired and on a board. This is an active ownership interest on the board. Even on wall street, that is not allowed.

Why is it permitted for fisheries?

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
to go over 60% is negligent. all those boats had to know they were way over and just kept fishing.

Tuna Hooker

Lieutenant
Yeah, makes a guy want to puke. I think we need to take a lesson from Canada, they seem to have it figured out. The herring up there are the size of football's and their tuna are all the size of Volkswagens.

Chum Pot

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Parker
a link is in the information on the story

DONATE
DONATE Would you like to contribute to our efforts to better understand the movements of tunas, sharks, billfish and sea turtles? Consider giving a tax-deductible gift to the Large Pelagics Research Center at UMass Amherst. For details contact the Program Manager, Emily Chandler, or at 978-283-0368.

Top Bottom