Drawer latches/slides

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Anyone have any interesting ideas for this? Looking to build a bunch of drawers but dont want to use the standard Blum undermount slides I would use in a house because they would rust and be very heavy plus i am looking to have a latching function that is easy to operate one handed but holds the drawer shut while underway.

I have some ideas but thought I would put the question up. Looking for wood, stainless or brass finish for mahogany drawer faces. Also would love to make them myself if anyone has any homemade ideas.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I use the Southco push button latches. For the slides you can always make poly slides, rabbit the side of the draw and use a poly track for the slide.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Toolate,I also want to make some new drawers for my boat....if you PM Lady Maureen here on this site my friend TJ just made some on his Wesmac....they came out great.....with nothing to rust

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
I use the Southco push button latches. For the slides you can always make poly slides, rabbit the side of the draw and use a poly track for the slide.

THese? I read the description and still dont understand how they function. Pull out the knob to retract the strike? Does the knob stay out then you push it in (so you could leave the drawers in "unlocked" position for a while) to keep from opening?

Also, site says chrome knob but is it plastic or metal? Just what I was looking for if so and they are $18 which is not bad relatively. Still would like to make something like this myself.

I am going to make my drawers MDI but thanks- will probably make them slide on some pvc runners because I have lots of it from work. Free is good.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
The latches are dual function. First push in on the button to release the knob from the home or stowed position, it pops out and now you can rotate the knob to release the latch and open the draw. If the draw is closed it will be locked regardless of whether or not the button is in or out. You have to rotate the knob to release the latch to open the draw.
They are made of plastic, but you can't tell they are not metal. They are well made and in 6 years of use mine still look new.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I have made dozens of boat drawers for a number of projects. I have never seen the need for heavy, rustprone, fancy slides on a boat. I have always made my drawers in a conventional, shoreside manner but instead of notching the sides to drop down over the frame stiles to retain them; just glue a wedge (or 2 on wider drawers) to the bottom which will jump up over the stile when it is closed. Saves a lot of time/thinking and are replacable if they ever wear.

022.jpg

001.jpg

031.jpg

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Meant to post this pic Blitzen- just making sure we are talking about the same thing.

image.jpg

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Brooksie- thinking I will make my drawers full inset because I like the look. The wedge is as simple and effective as it gets though but the wedge would make a mark on the face frame that would be seen when the drawer is closed.

Wonder if anyone makes anything like this anywhere?

image.jpg

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Brooksie- thinking I will make my drawers full inset because I like the look. The wedge is as simple and effective as it gets though but the wedge would make a mark on the face frame that would be seen when the drawer is closed.

Wonder if anyone makes anything like this anywhere?

True, with full flush drawers, they do leave a mark.
Have you tried Lee Valley Hardware? If they don't have it, it's not available.

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
I use aluminum U track inside the cabinet as my slide and a strip of mahogany down the side of my draws as the slide. Works great for me as I intentionally make the fit snug so that the draws will not open on their own.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Meant to post this pic Blitzen- just making sure we are talking about the same thing.

That is it, if it is a turn to open latch.
I have the one shown below.

latch.jpg

Top Bottom