Duffy High Low Shear

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
Can someone please explain to me and post pictures if you have them for the difference of a high shear and a low shear Duffy 35.

Thanks,

Dave

DudeShippinOut

Lieutenant
Boat Make
28' T Jason
Why do u guys all look so serious? How bout a wave or a beer in the air..... Pretend your having fun at least .... Good loooking boats

Nighthawk

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Carolina Classic
You will know a 35' low shear when you see one up close, it has very low sides and as stated above when standing in the cockpit you will notice right away it's not deep enough for most but probably has some advantages as a work boat.

Cape Island has a nice video of Bounty Hunter here (a high shear) which are like most you see these days.. Andy also has pic of a 37 Duffy (high shear) hull with a long house in the boats for sale section ready for finishing.

Boat Design - Build - Repair | Massachusetts | Cape Island Boats

Last edited:

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
Thanks,

Saw on Craigs List in MA someone on South Shore was building a new low shear 35' Duffy for Charter for Sale. Not sure why I would want a low shear style boat for charters then again, you will save money on gaffs because you can lean over and grab the fish. I always thought it was the height of the sides but never really knew. Also MOJO, I have always loved the picture and If I remember right, you had the RP 35, middel was NB 36 and what was the one on the left with a tower?

Dave

Hurdy Gurdy

Lieutenant Commander
One thing I can tell you about the low shear Duffy is, there isnt any room under the floor for anything.I have about 12"of clearance under there.Sucks if you want fish holds and or live wells.Here is a pic of my floor before the ply went down.

IMG_3737.jpg

pjitty

Lieutenant
Boat Make
2004 Regal 2465, 19' home built Downeaster
So on a low shear, a breaking wave would flood the boat and with a higher shear, their should not be a problem, is that right?. And the only other disadvantages would be asthetics and workability [retriving fish]. Don't know if disadvantages is the correct word. Thinking about my next Boat...

Joe D

tunamojo

Rear Admiral
Website
Www.wickedweasel.com
Boat Make
Holland 32
Thanks,

Saw on Craigs List in MA someone on South Shore was building a new low shear 35' Duffy for Charter for Sale. Not sure why I would want a low shear style boat for charters then again, you will save money on gaffs because you can lean over and grab the fish. I always thought it was the height of the sides but never really knew. Also MOJO, I have always loved the picture and If I remember right, you had the RP 35, middel was NB 36 and what was the one on the left with a tower?

Dave
I think she is a calvin beal ???

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
the low sheer is really low. Hits me below knee level. I have seen a few that Andy has finished that have an a higher "lip" built on to the interior part of the cockpit wash rail to make it more safe for people fishing/working in the cockpit.

I do like the look of the low sheer better than the high sheer, but the high sheer is definitely safer to fish out of.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Easier to haul gear up out of the water and into the boat. With the more commercial haulers these boats could become "safer" by adding sheer since the fishermen didn't have to work quite as hard nor nurse-maid the twitch taken around their whipping drum.

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
So on a low shear, a breaking wave would flood the boat and with a higher shear, their should not be a problem, is that right?. And the only other disadvantages would be asthetics and workability [retriving fish]. Don't know if disadvantages is the correct word. Thinking about my next Boat...

Joe D
It's a New England / Maritimes thing. Look at the Massachusetts-designed and built Grand Banks schooners of a hundred years ago (prettiest boats ever built to my eyes). Very low freeboard for their 100'+ length and an open helm and they were regularly swept by seas (something that just doesn't compute for me as they fished year round). Re lobsterboat design, low freeboard made sense in the pre-hauler and pre-wire days but not so much today. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for reason to triumph over tradition with the new (lobsterboat) designs. It'll also be interesting to learn who the next generation of designers are.

pjitty

Lieutenant
Boat Make
2004 Regal 2465, 19' home built Downeaster
Thanks for the reply Downeaster. I'm looking for my next boat, and this one will be my last boat, so it needs to be the best compromise. Thanks again...

Joe D

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral

Joe D
No. I never had a wave jump in the boat. But I haven't seen the wave you are talking about either.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
the low sheer is really low. Hits me below knee level. I have seen a few that Andy has finished that have an a higher "lip" built on to the interior part of the cockpit wash rail to make it more safe for people fishing/working in the cockpit.

I do like the look of the low sheer better than the high sheer, but the high sheer is definitely safer to fish out of.
I have a low sheer, The railing hight is just above the knee on mine. I'm only 6"2" . Alot of what a custom boat is ,is what the owner changed to suit his needs.

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
No. I never had a wave jump in the boat. But I haven't seen the wave you are talking about either.
I filled the cockpit late one December evening many years ago at Rose and Crown Rip just to the east of Sankaty Head (Nantucket). Chasing the last of the season's stripers and was paying too much attention to the fish and not enough to the "jogs" in the rip. Had one come in and set a 33' Brownell bass boat on its side - I was certain that she was going to keep going - but she came back with a cockpit nearly full of water. A quick head count revealed that I hadn't lost anyone. Those two half-moon scuppers took forever to empty her but eventually peace was restored (though not below where everything that had been on the port side was now on the starboard side - including the contents of the refrigerator). Scared myself silly that night and formulated some strong opinions about scuppers vs. freeing ports. Truth be known, I don't think that a high shear would've changed a thing that night.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
???????????????????????

I filled the cockpit late one December evening many years ago at Rose and Crown Rip just to the east of Sankaty Head (Nantucket). Chasing the last of the season's stripers and was paying too much attention to the fish and not enough to the "jogs" in the rip. Had one come in and set a 33' Brownell bass boat on its side - I was certain that she was going to keep going - but she came back with a cockpit nearly full of water. A quick head count revealed that I hadn't lost anyone. Those two half-moon scuppers took forever to empty her but eventually peace was restored (though not below where everything that had been on the port side was now on the starboard side - including the contents of the refrigerator). Scared myself silly that night and formulated some strong opinions about scuppers vs. freeing ports. Truth be known, I don't think that a high shear would've changed a thing that night.
Scuppers vs freeing ports ???

Scuppers I have on my boat.

What are freeing ports????

Appreciated,

Bill D

Top Bottom