Dumb Question...

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
The Osmonds (H&H) are not necessarily wider than Calvin's boats. The 34's are within 2" of each other. In the 36' size, the Calvin is 6" wider than the H&H. In the 38'-40' size, the Calvin Beal again is wider with the transom width being almost a foot wider on the Calvin vs. the H&H. If you get up into the 45'+ range, then H&H does offer a wider beam (up to 19'2"), but the 44' Calvin is 17'6" wide, which is huge for a 44' boat.

I don't know what size of boat you are interested in, but back in '08 when I acquired my first DE hull, I narrowed my choices down to the 34 Calvin and the 34 H&H (I was looking for the best 34' hull available). I spoke with numerous owners of both hulls, and everyone I spoke with said the Calvin hull was going to offer better/faster speed. Since speed was very important to me, I went with the Calvin and was not disappointed.

Ditchdigger

Captain
Dumb Question

Remember, there are No dumb questions. Only Dumb answers. I have So many Dumb questions answered on this thread just by reading the advice of very knowledgeable people . Sometimes I wonder them but do not ask. I know someone will step up to the plate. This is the most informative site anywhere for Down East Boats.

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Exactly what you were looking for in 34', although speed is not a real issue I'm more concerned with being able to pack as much fish/ice/fuel as possible. 12 to 15 cruise would be perfect.

I was looking for speed, stability, and the ability to handle a lot of weight- it was for commercial application. The H&H 34 and Calvin Beal 34 are very similar in size and design. I personally like the Calvin better because of the speed factor, and I think it's a better looking hull- but that's just my opinion. Are you looking for a 34' boat? None better in that size that a Calvin 34 in my opinion.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Beam? where are you measuring at the rail or waterline. There are a ton of subtle differences that you can pick up with a long straight edge. Some worked and some didn't depending on what was intended for the design. For true measurement, measure everything at the waterline and go from there with the designs you like. Since speed is not a big factor for you there are a lot of options built down and skeg built. The BHM's might be a good consideration for your needs.

Top Bottom