Dyer 29 $25,000.00

Hooper

Captain
I love the 29 Dyer. This looks like a really nice boat that has been well cared for during her life. Nice price too.

Duke

Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
Dyer 29

cooker5doo

Ensign
Perkin Manicooler

I have been told that the Perkins engine 6.354 has something called the manicooler which is some kind of unified device that is involved in fresh water cooling of the engine. I have been told that due to the age of the these engines one will be looking at replacing this device sooner rather than later. I have been told that these are either not available or cost in excess of $10,000 to replace. So most folks end up re-powering.

Does anyone here have any experience with these engines and can either confirm or refute?

machaca

Lieutenant Commander
I just was working on one of those motors and the oil cooler let go due to corrosion aluminum housing stainless bolts and a copper core w no zincs. To replace was over $10,000 before they stopped making them several years ago. The heat exchanger also has corrosin issues and that was $11,000 to replace if you could get one....luckily I found a junker engine and got the part otherwise would have been out of luck Transatlantic diesel is good for parts but plan on repowering the boat sooner than later

cooker5doo

Ensign
Perkins 6.354

Thanks for confirming the problems with the engines. I was looking at another boat with this engine and several folks warned me about the problems with the parts.

machaca

Lieutenant Commander
Actually a smooth running motor and that boat does
Look nice the problem is once the coolers start corroding off you are s o l unless you own stock in jb weld the good news if you repower that motor is worth a few bucks for parts

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
could you repower with a nice gas motor would be nice boat for not alot of money

dino

Lieutenant
Boat Make
so25, clc16
In a boat like this what would be the annual utilization that would justify diesel over gas?

Dino

machaca

Lieutenant Commander
Looks like a nice boat for the price and the Perkins are good motors just when you need parts you are in trouble. Could run fine for years I wouldn't take a diesel out to put a gas motor in. A 220 six cyl yanmar would probably be a good fit for that

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland
Top Bottom