Dyer 29-Rasing the floor

Cwindsor

Deckhand
First Name
Crayke
Hi All,

I have a Dyer 29 flush deck bass boat (1972) which I used this summer and absolutely love the boat. I am keen to undertake various upgrades. To this end, I would like to raise the floor height so as to get rid of the engine box and hoping some folks out there have undertaken such a project and would share their experience, photos, what-not-to-dos, etc.....
For those familiar with the boat, I would also like to hear about any modifications you made and suggestions therein.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Fishonnelsons

Admiral
Lite User
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
First Name
Rich
Boat Make
38 Wesmac, 29 Dyer

Beauly

1st Mate
Lite User
Boat Make
Dyer 29

Fishonnelsons

Admiral
Lite User
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
First Name
Rich
Boat Make
38 Wesmac, 29 Dyer

Beauly

1st Mate
Lite User
Boat Make
Dyer 29

Cwindsor

Deckhand
First Name
Crayke
Hi!

I have same boat, same year, (what hull number is yours?) I too would like to eliminate engine box, and raise floor. Tad Jones at Anchorage Inc, does not recommend this with flush deck models like ours, raising center of gravity etc. Engine box on ours is +- 14” off the sole, yes I could reduce that height to 9-10” still including some Sound Down insulation, but then what would I do with a 8-9“ box? Not really going to step on it am I? At least at 14” it can be used as a seat/bench etc. We do plan to redo the sole, so that will be the time to reconsider hatches, sizes, engine box, etc. Let me know how you make out.
Hull 53 - her name is Rascal.

Cwindsor

Deckhand
First Name
Crayke
Thank you all for the replys. I am leery of getting upside down on the boat financially - which I absolutely would be if repowering to diesel. Mr. Jone's concerns about the center of gravity (I am assuming the vertical center of gravity) are a bit confusing, especially in the flush deck version. All things being equal, a trunk version will have a higher CG than a flush deck by virtue of the raised fore deck. If the cockpit floor is also raised in way of the engine, the vessel will have a higher VCG still. I have reached out to Tad for further clarification.
Thanks again.

Beauly

1st Mate
Lite User
Boat Make
Dyer 29
Last edited:

Cwindsor

Deckhand
First Name
Crayke
All. I may have miss spoke, miss represented Tad's concerns. Disregard the center of gravity comment. In a conversation with him earlier today, (about rub rail and guard rail to start) I then asked him about the "bridge deck" concept and his concerns. Again, I walk back the "center of gravity" comment. Instead Tad suggest that having a bridge deck on the flush deck model is going to have the driver standing that much higher up while they are at the wheel and at and against the windshield, such that the opportunity to topple overboard in sea conditions because the coaming and windshield height would be a hazard, like a railing that is too low on a deck or something that you think you can lean against, but end up falling over. That is really all he was offering.
Thanks for the clarification.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom