Dyer 29 verses Ellis 28?

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
I've been looking for just the right Dyer 29 hardtop for a while. Is the Ellis 28, equal to the Dyer in Quality. Ride . Seaworthiness , etc. or what are the major differences if any. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
The 29 Dyer will out perform the 28 Ellis six ways to Sunday. They are much different boats. The 29 Dyer is the cat's a.... They have fine entry narrow beam & push at 18-20 knots with 270 HP. Plus the keel is cut back a bit and the vessel has a propeller aperture that can fit a good size wheel. The early Ellis is much harder to push. There full keel allows very little room for a propeller that can push the Ellis better than 15 knots. I believe however that on the later ones this problem might have been correct so the later ones could get speeds similar to the Dyers. They have more beam than the Dyer which only gives you a little more room. The cost is a much lesser ride and a bad following sea boat. The Dyer rides well in all sea. Head sea she just lofts off the waves, following sea, no white knuckle ride. Find a good Dyer and your search is over.

Last edited:

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
The 29 Dyer will out perform the 28 Ellis six ways to Sunday. They are much different boats. The 29 Dyer is the cat's a.... They have fine entry narrow beam & push at 18-20 knots with 270 HP. Plus the keel is cut back a bit and the vessel has a propeller aperture that can fit a good size wheel. The early Ellis is much harder to push. There full keel allows very little room for a propeller that can push the Ellis better than 15 knots. I believe however that on the later ones this problem might have been correct so the later ones could get speeds similar to the Dyers. They have more beam than the Dyer which only gives you a little more room. The cost is a much lesser ride and a bad following sea boat. The Dyer rides well in all sea. Head sea she just lofts off the waves, following sea, no white knuckle ride. Find a good Dyer and your search is over.

Thanks Capt. Point well taken.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman

Larry - why can't we find boat reviews like this in any of the boating magazines?! Nice, unbiased, and filled with facts. (they are facts, aren't they? LOL) Magazines give us diluted commercials and call them reviews. No matter how shitty the boat really is, there is always something great to say about it, and they focus on that and only that. Plus, you didn't even throw in any plugs for JC! ;) I for one appreciate your opinions. Keep 'em coming please.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Larry - why can't we find boat reviews like this in any of the boating magazines?! Nice, unbiased, and filled with facts. (they are facts, aren't they? LOL) Magazines give us diluted commercials and call them reviews. No matter how shitty the boat really is, there is always something great to say about it, and they focus on that and only that. Plus, you didn't even throw in any plugs for JC! ;) I for one appreciate your opinions. Keep 'em coming please.
No need for a JC hard chinned plug when we are talking about two round chine boats....Facts....well I guess they are my facts from riding on & working on all of these boats. Especially the two being discussed in this post. Nothing finer than a 29 Dyer in my book.

CCI01102010_00002 - 1.jpg

CCI01102010_00003 d-3.jpg

CCI01102010_00004 d-2.jpg

CCI01102010_00001bb d-2.jpg

jj.jpg

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
My buddy is selling one of his. Its in Norwalk CT and is well kept. It is listed here in the found boats section or PM me and I will put you in touch with him.

dyer 29

My Dad finished off 2 Dyer hulls in the early to mid 70's. They are excellent sea boats. Dyer's are great in quarterly or following seas. You were never pushed off the rips as you sometimes are in boats that have wide, flat transoms. The only weakness in the Dyer's design is in the intermediate strut as it is prone to damage if you get into skinny water.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Were there any hull design changes below the waterline from a year one hull to present day? I get the feeling that it has not changed one bit. What an impressive run this hull is having!

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Were there any hull design changes below the waterline from a year one hull to present day? I get the feeling that it has not changed one bit. What an impressive run this hull is having!

Correct Dyers has change nothing underwater. The workmanship of the keel strut & cutlass bearing support is exceptional. The one very nice grade on the new Dyers is they went to a step up deck with no motor box. I very fine upgrade. The Dyer in my marina repowered with a 260 Yanmar. The boat is a rabbit, quiet smooth & 20k cruise, not the mention a very easy fit on install after removing the Perkins & saving 1000 pounds.

I don't think there have been any changes in the hull design. The boats that my dad built had trunk cabins with traditional bimini tops. These were the first dyers to have the diesel engine under the floor. He did this by incorporating a raised deck area with about a 6" step. The builders from Anchorage Corp. used his idea and in later boats

rlalaw

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Padebco
dyer vs ellis 28

I made the exact same comparison two summers ago and came to the same conclusion as capt larry... except i didn't think the Ellis was that bad. The Dyer was just that much better... I looked at an 80s Ellis with a diesel and a late 60's Dyer gas. About the same condition overall, but i paid 50% more for the much older Dyer. Couldn't be happier. I bought it for the ride but it doesnt hurt that i think it has among the most gorgeous lines of any boat out there.

rlalaw

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Padebco
guitarman here you go.. this is what i had on this computer.

dyer 29.jpg

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Dyer 29, no better sea boat in this size. The Dyer 40, much more rare, great boat too but not as pretty.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Here is my buddies' boat. Its for sale think in the 80's but not sure. Just used for cruising.

image.jpg

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Little closer. PM me if you are interested. It was posted in the found section a couple weeks ago. Great pics so thought I would put them here.

image.jpg

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
Yes those are great pics thanks for posting them. Im looking for a trunk cabin factory hardtop.

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
827B69C1-9C94-4679-A1DC-570FA27AAA2D.jpeg Our Dyer on Flathead lake
I thought this was a nice tread we started a few years ago that helped us decide on a Dyer 29.

Last edited:
Top Bottom