Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
First Name
Rich
Boat Make
38 Wesmac, 29 Dyer

AW_Holland32

Captain
On a boat like this I would think you could leave a lot more keel intact if you want with twin outboards because they would get “clean” water but purely armchair knowledge on the subject. Assuming you kept speed goals reasonable so not to keel walk badly two moderate size outboards like even 90s might be feasible for a 18-20 knot cruise

chortle

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
There is not much keel to modify, really nothing at all, pretty clean underbody. In my observation, outboards would have pretty clean water at the transom. Just remove the shaft strut, the pipe supporting the rudder and shaft strut and plug the hole for the shaft.

1642008255938.jpeg

leaky

Admiral
On a boat like this I would think you could leave a lot more keel intact if you want with twin outboards because they would get “clean” water but purely armchair knowledge on the subject. Assuming you kept speed goals reasonable so not to keel walk badly two moderate size outboards like even 90s might be feasible for a 18-20 knot cruise

I've asked that same question but never have got a good response - ie with twins why must the keel be so cropped or at all. I mean even twin inboard V hulls have keels.

RobBaker

Commander
Boat Make
Eastern Sisu 22
I would think that a prototype would have to be built before production to get the weight placement right. Your moving a heavy engine that is mid-ship to the stern. I think Hinckley is modifing some of there inboard boats to outboard. May have to move the fuel tank to account for the weight distribution change.

I'm no navel architect.

chortle

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
I've asked that same question but never have got a good response - ie with twins why must the keel be so cropped or at all. I mean even twin inboard V hulls have keels.
Depends on how much keel is there. Two good reasons I can think of are 1. reduction of wetted surface for better speed and fuel economy and 2. handling. With props that turn having a keel only gives you something to trip over. In the case of the Dyer I don't see much to trim, its mostly slack bilges with a little bump for a keel. It's already halfway between a built down and a low deadrise hull. I don't see any worthwhile way to trim that for either case. If it was a big skeg built hull as on a modern lobster boat then cutting off most of the keel will reduce wetted surface. The Bar Harbor 39 comes to mind.

chortle

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
I would think that a prototype would have to be built before production to get the weight placement right. Your moving a heavy engine that is mid-ship to the stern. I think Hinckley is modifing some of there inboard boats to outboard. May have to move the fuel tank to account for the weight distribution change.

I'm no navel architect.
Yes, if you were building a bunch of them then yes, model it in 3D and analyze trim and try to predict performance. Tiara and Hinckley and MJM and Back Cove and others are now offering outboards as options. A lot easier for them to do this because they are starting with modified deep vee hulls with shaft or pod drives and designed for planing. Also, they were designed in 3D with marine architecture software so once that model is built on the computer it is pretty easy to modify and predict performance. Someone somewhere may have modeled the Dyer but I doubt it. Maybe Tad could enlighten us when he reads this :p

chortle

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Just took another look at your configuration and realized your soft top looks to be 12" higher than my hard top, the raised deck may not work for me.
The hardtop is pretty tall, I'm 6' and it is plenty tall for me. Tad might have actual headroom on this standard option done by them in 1993.
1642017694276.jpeg

Fishonnelsons

Rear Admiral
Lite User
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
First Name
Rich
Boat Make
38 Wesmac, 29 Dyer

Fishonnelsons

Rear Admiral
Lite User
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
First Name
Rich
Boat Make
38 Wesmac, 29 Dyer

Beauly

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
Dyer 29

Fishonnelsons

Rear Admiral
Lite User
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
First Name
Rich
Boat Make
38 Wesmac, 29 Dyer

scout 30

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Tashmoo 18, Scout 30, Bauer 10, Caribiana 23
Eventually somebody will try outboards on one of these. Will be interesting to see how it works. One big plus is you'll decrease the draft significantly. Big plus if the boat ever makes it to Florida or the Bahamas.

Top Bottom