Dyer ?

testing56

Ensign
In the market for a 16-22ft.
Need something that can survive on a fairly unprotected mooring(self bailing).
Easy on gas
Classic, simple design
Recreational use only

Moving from a sailboat, so the powerboat world is a little foreign to me

Found this Dyer, which has some appeal to me. Anyone familiar with the 20ft Dyer? I've only seen the 16ft Glamour Girl.

I'd need to hire out the work, but have a fairly limited budget. I'd like to be all in for $4-$5K. Is it possibly to get this restored professionally and a used motor at this price point or am I better off getting something ready to go?

20FT DYER FIBERGLSS BOAT W/TRAILER

Appreciate any insights.

stircrazy

Lieutenant
I woudn't go near that 20 ft dyer... Keep an eye out on Maine, New Hampshire, and Cape Cod Craigslist for a Pointer or Seaway Skiff. They go up for sale fairly often at in your price range. A much better boat is out there than the dyer.

jojobee

Commander
I kind of agree with Stircrazy but I'm not as hard lined. That boat has been used in yards in both inboard and outboard configurations. A small diesel works well. I do not see any scuppers on that thing so it is probably not self bailing. I my opinion, the boat is ugly. Thats my big issue.

RKrough

Commander
Boat Make
Midland 19
I restored a 19' Midland that was in much better shape and bought for $700 on Ebay. By the time I was done I had $2500 in materials including putting $1100 into a used Johnson outboard. So that is $3200 without any labor. I put about 200 hours labor into it. It would have cost me at minimum another $8K in labor if I paid someone else do the work.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
i've got a 20ft dyer glamour girl. its powered by a 3cyl yanmar, v drive. i've set it up as a center console. its a great slow cruiser. very stable and slices right through the chop. big keel and rudder turn it on a dime. i did change the sheerline though.
here a pic from when i was working on it. i can take more and post them if you want.

DSC00022.jpg

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
i the keel is wood, and is hung on numerous mahagony floor timbers that are 'floating', and tied together with some longitudinals, and the plywood floor. everything was rotten on my, boat, which i completely gutted. i've got some pictures of this if you are interested.

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
In the market for a 16-22ft.
Need something that can survive on a fairly unprotected mooring(self bailing).
Easy on gas
Classic, simple design
Recreational use only

Moving from a sailboat, so the powerboat world is a little foreign to me

Found this Dyer, which has some appeal to me. Anyone familiar with the 20ft Dyer? I've only seen the 16ft Glamour Girl.

I'd need to hire out the work, but have a fairly limited budget. I'd like to be all in for $4-$5K. Is it possibly to get this restored professionally and a used motor at this price point or am I better off getting something ready to go?

20FT DYER FIBERGLSS BOAT W/TRAILER

Appreciate any insights.

I'd stay away from that particular Dyer. Look at this 19' Eastern/Seaway I found this boat has a newer motor and has been recently rebuilt. The pilothouse is ugly but functional. The price is right and includes a trailer. A 40 hp won't be a speed demon but it will push that hull okay for fishing and beaching.
19' Seaway/Easterm

Last edited:

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
i agree with what these guys are telling you. i was too excited to talk about my dyer that i didn't even look at the one you were talking about. YIKES! that is one scary looking boat. big project, and still not self bailing, unless you raise the floor way up.

Hooper

Captain
I have a 21' Novi center console that needs nothing and is ready to fish if you are interested, $7,500

PM me if you want more info

testing56

Ensign
i have been considering the Seaway. The one you found is an interesting option. Curious about seating arrangement in that boat. Right now, there is nothing. Could it accomodate more than just a captain's chair? I may have a look.

Top Bottom