East Rockaway Inlet

AJ168

1st Mate
First Name
AJ
With any luck, I'll be taking possession of a Blue Seas 31 that's just inside East Rockaway Inlet soon. CG Local Notice to Mariners says extreme shoaling, and a survey from March from the Army Corps shows a shoal at 3' MLLW as you hit the ocean. With any tide, I should be fine to clear that shoal, but what concerns me is swell. Even a 2' long period may stand up enough to have my keel skipping across bottom. Has anyone run that inlet lately?

ARC

Admiral
Boat Make
31’ eastern Casco Bay
Jones is marked and has deep water 6’ . I would take that route. You could also time it right to follow head boats if needed

AJ168

1st Mate
First Name
AJ
Jones is marked and has deep water 6’ . I would take that route. You could also time it right to follow head boats if needed
I've given that some thought, but I'm headed South to Shark River in Belmar for the first stop. I'd need to go East to go back West.
I'll do it if need be, but it's not the first choice.

LadyMaureen

Commodore
Boat Make
Wesmac
I run ER inlet often with a 42 Wesmac. I would very much prefer ER vs Jones, although they have both become similar with a huge dog-leg swoop east to west. The ER buoys are accurate however and as long as you stay in the bouy chain you will be fine. The channel could have some swell to it coming from the bars / shoals but it is plenty deep. A few tips to make it less nail biting:

Try to go at high and or slack tide. Try avoid a wind vs tide situation. And try to go when boat traffic is high so you can possibly follow someone if unsure yourself. I know the guy you are buying this boat from, ask him to lead you out with his 23 footer (2nd boat).

Feel free to give me a call T.J. 516-317-8803

AJ168

1st Mate
First Name
AJ
I run ER inlet often with a 42 Wesmac. I would very much prefer ER vs Jones, although they have both become similar with a huge dog-leg swoop east to west. The ER buoys are accurate however and as long as you stay in the bouy chain you will be fine. The channel could have some swell to it coming from the bars / shoals but it is plenty deep. A few tips to make it less nail biting:

Try to go at high and or slack tide. Try avoid a wind vs tide situation. And try to go when boat traffic is high so you can possibly follow someone if unsure yourself. I know the guy you are buying this boat from, ask him to lead you out with his 23 footer (2nd boat).

Feel free to give me a call T.J. 516-317-8803
Thanks for the info. I'm assuming that the marked channel obviously goes further West than this survey (it's hard to tell with only one marker that got charted here), or do you actually cross that bar? That's the Red "4" there.
I'm no stranger to running terrible inlets, including the whitewater to survey it, but I'm normally doing it in a boat I'm familiar with that has outboards, not a big keel.

East Rockaway.JPG

LadyMaureen

Commodore
Boat Make
Wesmac
Thanks for the info. I'm assuming that the marked channel obviously goes further West than this survey (it's hard to tell with only one marker that got charted here), or do you actually cross that bar? That's the Red "4" there.
I'm no stranger to running terrible inlets, including the whitewater to survey it, but I'm normally doing it in a boat I'm familiar with that has outboards, not a big keel.

View attachment 137481

You dont cross over any bars. That image makes it appear worse than it really is. Yes dog leg takes you hard to the west a bit. Text me pls. Maybe I can link you with someone going out the inlet same day / time as you.

Alisske

Deckhand
Hi. I am not going to give a. Direct answer, but a suggestion that would apply to any unknown/new inlet to a captain.

Wait for another boat of similar size and draft to come through then follow. Party fishing boats should be going in and out.

I travel a good bit and when going into some skinny water inlets, ill trail folks.

I say this becuase no matter what charts/ info/ captains feedback you look at, once your in the. Inlet, you'll start overthinking it.

Last edited:

mako69

1st Mate
I run this inlet frequently, TJ ( Lady Maureen) is correct... best to run this inlet ( like most) at high and avoiding wind vs tide.. the bouys are correct, but have shifted west each year so I would avoid any old tracks in the GPS.... I avoid Jones Inlet at all cost

Top Bottom