Eastern 24 CC - want to learn more

WCP

Ensign
Boat Make
Eastern 24
I am looking to learn more about the Eastern 24 CC. We currently own a 1988 Eastern 18, which we love. We use our Eastern 18 as a family boat for picnicing and harbor cruising (our kids are small). We would like to go bigger than our current 18, so that we can fit two families on it for day outings. We are considering a mid-2000's Eastern 24 CC (old model). I'm sure the 24 would be great for cruising around in light wind and calm waters. What I am wondering is how would an Eastern 24 CC do if we want to use it to go 3 or 4 miles, in decent seabreeze waves (3-4 feet), to get from one place to the next. Will we be banged up and wet all the time anytime we leave the harbor? We are on Long Island Sound in CT. Thanks!

jrg

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Eastern 24
I have that exact boat, but the hardtop version. Awesome hull! It will take just about anything you can throw at it, and is far more capable than any 24' boat I've ever been on. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by its performance in snotty weather. If you take it easy, you'll have a dry ride but if you "hammer", everyone will be soaked. Just like your 18, the key to the 24 is to keep a bit of the bow in the water if conditions get nasty. As long as you have a dodger up front, you'll be happy with it.

The Nancy D

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Eastern 24 CC
My brother and have the same boat. We have found it to be fantastic.

To answer you questions directly, you will not be banged up in the least -- the ride is extraordinarily smooth -- but you very well could be wet.

We've found that whatever trade-offs there are to be well worth it. For us, the pros far outweigh the very few cons. Yes, you might get a little wet from time to time and it can be a bit squirrely in following sea (the boat lacks a full keel), but that is pretty much the long and the short of the cons. That said, it eats up a head sea, is almost shockingly efficient, wonderfully simple and better looking then 95% of the center consoles out there.

Let me know if I can give you any more insight into it.

WCP

Ensign
Boat Make
Eastern 24
Thanks for listing the few Cons, sounds like if we can get over the wet-factor, not too much to worry about. What are your favorite Pro's about the Eastern 24 CC? What type of seas/conditions do you typically use it in?

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Magnolia Sun

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Seaway 24' Hardtop Sport
I just sold my 2004 24' Eastern Cuddy Cabin last weekend. It's a great hull, no question. The older Eastern's have a 7'8" beam, the new version is 8'6" As another poster mentioned, it will handle head-on seas without a problem. Just keep in mind not to take her over 8+ knots in snotty weather to stay dry. On a flat calm day (w/Honda BF150) with a loaded boat & 3 people we could get past 30 knots WOT.

Another thing is that Eastern's hold their value extremely well. If the Eastern 24' is in good shape, then pull the trigger. Mine never really dispppointed my wife & friends. Any link on the boat you're looking at?

The Nancy D

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Eastern 24 CC
WCP:

I'll try not to ramble, but the following is a sort of stream of consciousness on what we've liked so much about the boat. We moor the boat in Marblehead, Mass and typically operate between Boston and the backside of Cape Ann -- a mix of Salem sound and more open water). In all cases the boat performs very well. As "jrg" noted, you just try to keep the bow down going into the waves and up with a following sea (which is the trickier of the two). As I mentioned, there can be a decent amount of spray, but the dodger helps out a lot here.

I think the single thing we enjoy the most is the "semi-displacement" aspect of it. I know this is a term that many here take issue with, but the result in the Eastern 24 is really pretty much perfect for the way we use the boat. I think the first thing you notice is that you never really hop up onto plane. The boat just glides through the water, almost like a launch. We probably cruise at around 18-20mph (guessing) and top out a hair above 30. Through that entire range the ride is just really sweet and smooth. Even in some much bigger water, the boat really performs admirably and instills a lot of confidence. We've been out on some days that we probably shouldn't have been and we haven't stuffed the bow yet…

The next thing that will hit you is how fuel efficient the boat is. Our's is powered by a Honda 130 and it uses far less gas that our old 17' Edgewater. While fueling up isn't exactly fun, it is far from dreadful. In many ways it actually is pleasant in terms of making you feel like you made a really good decision. I can't tell you how many times we've gone to fill it up and thought "that's it?" Not sure if the newer/beamier model looses some of this efficiency, but even if it did, I'd think it would still be way above average.

We both have young families (2 girls, each) and the boat can comfortably fit all of us — a real sort of family cruiser. It is equally great for taking off for a day at the beach, going exploring or just puttering around the harbor with a cocktail. The girls can snuggle up under the dodger to get out of the sun or spray, it has a portable head in the bow, a big cooler under the leaning post — all the stuff to make everyone comfortable.

We also like the simplicity. I don't know much about fiberglass layup schedules and the like, but you can tell the thing is build like a tank. It also doesn't have foam to get water logged or rigging tunnels that are impossible to navigate. Everything is very straight forward — you get the sense that there isn't a lot to go wrong. The scuppers are high enough that water never comes in the stern, there's a good anchor well, batteries are in the console and the bilge pump predictably in the bilge. It all just kinda makes sense. I guess that some people might take issue with wood stringers, but they're epoxy coated and wood has been used for years in boats nicer then our's, so it doesn't bother me. Others may think there is not enough freeboard, but there is plenty for us and it is easy to get into on the mooring… You get the picture.

We bought ours used and the guy who had it built put a ton of upgrades into it. A teak deck, wash down, fancy leaning post, wheel, pop up cleats, etc, etc. I guess the point is that they can very much tailor them to your liking — picnic boat style or more of a work boat and everything in-between.

Lastly, I think it is a really sharp looking boat — maybe I'm shallow, but it's gotta count for something. Hopefully I haven't indulged in to much hyperbole and this isn't totally biased. Call it one man's opinion. I'm sure others can add to this or maybe beat me back on anything they disagree with. I'm aware that everyone always likes their boat best, right? Hope it helps though.

Magnolia Sun

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Seaway 24' Hardtop Sport
Nancy...Good job on the review. I think you were spot on. One thing I would like to add is Eastern didn't use wood stringers after 2003. All composite after that. Our 2004 didn't have wooden stringers.

PS: If you're around Kettle Cove harbor in Magnolia or Black Beach next door....Please look for our new (Bright Yellow) Seaway 24' Come & say hi!

The Nancy D

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Eastern 24 CC
Magnolia Sun: good point on the stringers -- I didn't know that they did composite on the older hulls (ours is a 2002). I'll certainly be by to check out your new boat, we do a loop of Cape Ann almost every weekend and always pass by your way. I've been watching the thread about your build with great interest -- it is a beauty. Love the Seaways.

Magnolia Sun

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Seaway 24' Hardtop Sport
Magnolia Sun: good point on the stringers -- I didn't know that they did composite on the older hulls (ours is a 2002). I'll certainly be by to check out your new boat, we do a loop of Cape Ann almost every weekend and always pass by your way. I've been watching the thread about your build with great interest -- it is a beauty. Love the Seaways.

Thanks Nancy! We love her already. Sorry too see our 2004 Eastern go, but the guy that purchased her lives nearby. Please swing over!

jrg

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Eastern 24
Great review Nancy D! Bottom line is that the 24 is a fuel efficient hull with a great DE ride. My 2003 has gotten me home, safe and sound, in conditions that it, frankly, shouldn't have. I wouldn't trade mine for any other 24 footer on the market. A Lowell 38 would be a completely different story though! :D:D:D

jrg

Top Bottom