Eastern 27 Islander

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
I went to the Boston boat show yesterday, which was far from a DE mecca. However, one boat that that struck me as perfect for my family's desire, was the Islander 27'. They had hull #1 on display.

This is a completely different boat than their older 27' that had a 8'4" beam, and hard chine. The Islander has a 10'3" beam, soft chine, and is 8,000 lbs. This is a huge 27' boat.

There is a large (but tight) storage/berth area in the cabin that runs under the salon where an inboard engine would be. Adults wouldn't want to sleep under there, but my 8 y/o LOVED that space. There is an enclosed head, and an efficiency galley up, aft of the helm station.

The boat was setup with twin 150 Yamahas. I asked about a single 300 or 350, and the rep said that they tested a single, and while it worked, the increased prop area of the smaller twins, performed better. Top end had similar speeds, but cruising with the 150s was in the 22-24 kts range, versus an 18 kts cruise with the single 300.

My only problem with the boat is the $170K price tag. That seems like a whole lot of money for an overnighter/picnic boat. what are other peoples thoughts on the price? That price would be rigged with electronics (Raymarine e7). The price of the boat and motors was $160K.

Am I just completely naive about new build prices? I can't wrap my brain around spending the price of a starter home on a recreational toy, that I would use 6 months of the year.

Here is the promotional picture on their Website (note the single outboard):
Eastern-27-islander.png

Here are my pics from the boat show:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
Ranger tug is selling a ton of 27' to 29' as cruising boats there pretty fancy if eastern can add some creature comforts at that or around that price range they will sell to baby boomers that are looking to down size but who still what to cruise. in that price range.

cmm88

Lieutenant
That layout looks a lot like my 26' Seaway just 25 years newer. Is the head all the way forward in the center?

4%20seawaycabin.jpg

Last edited:

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
Not sure if they acquired this hull from somewhere else, or if they started from scratch. There was supposed to be a 27' Seaway Seafarer debuting at this show as well, but has not been built yet. The sales reps at the Seaway booth led me to believe that both 27's were based off the same hull, but to me they look completely different (at least from the picture I've seen on Seaway's Website).

roydawn

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Sea Fox 256
i took a test ride on a Eastern 248 Islander at Wefing's Marine in Fl. in Jan.It is also an awesome boat, fully equipped with bimini & AC, it was a little over $100K. grest day boat/pocket cruiser, but their Explorer or Tournament will make a much better fishing rig. they also make a 27' Tournament. Roy

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
Yup, the 248 Islander is a little over $100K rigged, and is completely new hull from their older Eastern 24' (I think they changed in 2009/2010). The 248 is about a foot wider than the older 24'.

The previous 27' has been sold for decades, I've been on them before. The new 27' is almost 2' wider and 3,000 lbs heavier than that model. There are pretty much no similarities between the two. I'll definitely be taking it for a test drive in the spring. Yarmouth Boat Yard in Maine will have a demo model, if they don't sell it first.

Older generation 27' (Tournament)
DSC_0013.jpg

New 27' (Islander)
Eastern-27-islander.png

Last edited:

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
170k will buy you a lot of serious downeast boat with a diesel!

Muscie

Commander
Boat Make
36 Flowers finished by Cape Island, 2014 ; 645 QSM11
For comparison checkout the 28 seaworthy built by Steve law in Maine. Single diesel built down hull.
I had one for 12 years& found it an excellent sea boat.

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
170k will buy you a lot of serious downeast boat with a diesel!

For comparison checkout the 28 seaworthy built by Steve law in Maine. Single diesel built down hull.
I had one for 12 years& found it an excellent sea boat.

Kinda where I was going... Although I do like the ability to get into skinny water with the outboard(s).

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
I concur 170 K will buy you a lot of diesel boat, without all that hardware hanging off the back. When sportfishing for tuna and even bottom stuff on the hook, a flat clean transom always offers the angler a lot more flexibility in the fight & end game.

My buddy has the 27 Eastern with a single 250 Honda, he enjoys the boat and paid a lot less that your quote.

28 Seaway with a single 300 HP diesel will come in cheaper and with much better resale value.

28.jpg

Last edited:

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
That Elizabeth J is beautiful! I totally agree with the resale aspect. Outboards on a DE are an oddball. I don't tuna fish, so I'm not worried about the hardware on the stern. The lack of an engine box is more important for my application, for how my family uses the boat.

I'm just dreaming right now. Since I'm a recreational boater in the Great White North (8-12" falling as I type), I don't ever foresee spending $170K for a half year of use.

wiggy

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Seaway 23
I can't imagine spending that sort of money on a new outboard powered boat. There are a lot of clean, used diesel DEs for a 1/3rd of the price. And as far as outboard powered DEs, my little Seaway 23 with a decent used 4 stroke Yamaha 115, all new electronics and a stringer and transom rebuild will cost nothing in comparison to a new boat. Sure, the new boats have improvements but I bet I can go most places a new Eastern 24 or Seaway 24 can go.

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
I went to the Portland ME, boat show the week after the Boston Boat Show, mostly to take another look at the Eastern 27' in my back yard. I was mistaken when I said it had a soft chine, it is a hard chine.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
I'm still really apprehensive about the price! However, there was a Scout Abaco 262 with twin 150's at the same show which was over $160K. That did make the Eastern 27 look slightly more reasonable (in comparison).

7024824_600x400.jpg

I will look at the Eastern yet again with my wife at the Maine Boat Builders show next weekend. After all of this looking, I will most assuredly be boating in my tiny pocket Downeaster this summer.

Last edited:

n4061

Lieutenant
I spoke with the factory last year on the orignal 27'. I had them send me photo's of the back side of the electrical panel which did not come close to meeting my expectations. That concluded my research with this builder. You are doing the right thing by asking people on this forum and similiar sites. If you were to add this boat to your short list I would suggest you visit the factory with someone who understands boat building or have a professional surveyor look at the boat or smaller boat by Eastern at a dealership. Good luck.

n4061

Lieutenant
My expectation was to see neatly run wiring with tie wraps and correct terminations at the junction box. What I seen in the photo provided was a mess of wires. Regardless of the cost of any boat there is not exuse for poor quality and potential unsafe construction. Possibly the photo I was provided was not a good example of todays quality? Anyone looking for a any boat needs do to thier homework.

Top Bottom