Eastern 31 Casco Bay

tshug

Ensign
Hi my names Ted and am new to this site. I'm looking for some viewpoints on a 2001 Eastern 31 Casco Bay powered with a Cummins 6BTA 5.9 with 1400 hours on it that I'm interested in. Has anyone here owned a similar Eastern and had any major problems with their Cummins? It will be used mostly for cruising, weekends on the hook and some fishing. I currently own a 1998 Seawirl Striper with a 225 Honda ob, so I have no diesel experience yet, but have always wanted to get into a DE style for their solid reputation and stability.

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Do a search for "JC 31" as it is a very similar boat. The keel may have been altered by Eastern, and the pilothouse may be taller however. Lots of past discussion on the ride of the JC 31.

tshug

Ensign
Do a search for "JC 31" as it is a very similar boat. The keel may have been altered by Eastern, and the pilothouse may be taller however. Lots of past discussion on the ride of the JC 31.
Thanks I'll check out the JC's as well.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
2001 Eastern was a good year. They built them a little lower like the original JCs. Find one without a F/B. Cummin5.9 @ 330 HP works well. Not happy about al. fuel tanks they last about 20 years and it is a very big replacement job. I would value a 2001 Eastern in mint condition @ 72K.

I think this JC is the current posted pick of the litter. She has great lines & power & set up the way I would set one up. His asking price is 79K which is a reasonable asking price:

http://downeastboatforum.com/free-classifieds-downeast-boats-marine-equipment-fishing-tackle-sale-wanted/2001-jc-31-%2479000-7786.html

Last edited:

tshug

Ensign
Thanks captainlarry. The one I'm interested in does not have a f/b and the asking price is $109k. It's more than I'd like to spend and from other posts I've see the al. fuel tanks is also a concern. I've seen pics of the other JC you mention and it does have great lines, but there is not much detail in the ad for it like the engine hours and other included equip. I'll probably contact the brokers for each and see where it goes from there. There's a 2005 H&H 29 I'm also interested in, but it does not have a bow thruster and at the club we belong to the space is tight and without the thruster it would be a challenge at the dock.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
The other JC

ORIGINAL OWNER
PLEASURE FISHED ONLY
3800 HOURS ON WELL MAINTAINED VOLVO TAMD63 370HP
19KT CRIUSE
6' 8" HEADROOM PILOTHOUSE
CUSTOM TRANSOM FISH BOX
200 GAL FUEL-FIBERGLASS TANKS
WATER
HOT WATER
BEST BUY-SUPER NICE
ATLANTIC BEACH NORTH CAROLINA
CHEAP DELIVERY!!
CALL DALE 252-422-2222

It is a lot less than 109 plus F/G tanks & 50 more HP. For the difference in price you can do a lot in upgrades. Plus it was built by JC in their final years. Which means it also has the tapered keel & recessed trim tabs, plus the original owner. I think this rig is the finest JC I have ever seen.

RyanCT

Lieutenant Commander
ORIGINAL OWNER
PLEASURE FISHED ONLY
3800 HOURS ON WELL MAINTAINED VOLVO TAMD63 370HP
19KT CRIUSE
6' 8" HEADROOM PILOTHOUSE
CUSTOM TRANSOM FISH BOX
200 GAL FUEL-FIBERGLASS TANKS
WATER
HOT WATER
BEST BUY-SUPER NICE
ATLANTIC BEACH NORTH CAROLINA
CHEAP DELIVERY!!
CALL DALE 252-422-2222

It is a lot less than 109 plus F/G tanks & 50 more HP. For the difference in price you can do a lot in upgrades. Plus it was built by JC in their final years. Which means it also has the tapered keel & recessed trim tabs, plus the original owner. I think this rig is the finest JC I have ever seen.

This boat was listed here back in the spring for $89k...it does look quite nice. Has anyone on here been down to look at it? Curious as to why it hasn't sold yet.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
I think the boat has not sold, mainly because it is the original owner. With that comes the emotional attachment and reluctance in reducing the price to fair market value. He is at 79K so he is starting to let go. I think at 70-72K this vessel is very good deal. The 370 Volvo is a diamond of a motor. I would guess without asking she has a 1:77 gear & a 22 X 22 wheel which will make her a 19-20 knot cruise boat all day lone. I have fish down there & in looking at the way she is setup I would guess that 70% of those hour were all at trolling speeds. You can tell I bet this vessel has had a very easy life.

Last edited:

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I think the boat has not sold, mainly because it is the original owner. With that comes the emotional attachment and reluctance in reducing the price to fair market value. He is at 79K so he is starting to let go. I think at 70-72K this vessel is very good deal. The 370 Volvo is a diamond of a motor. I would guess without asking she has a 1:77 gear & a 22 X 22 wheel which will make her a 19-20 knot cruise boat all day lone. I have fish down there & in looking at the way she is setup I would guess that 70% of those hour were all at trolling speeds. You can tell I bet this vessel has had a very easy life.

Stop typing and get on a plane Larry! This ones for you!

(I have a feeling that the owner/seller might see that you have a love for these boats that exceeds any feelings he might have for them- he will probably just give you the keys)

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Stop typing and get on a plane Larry! This ones for you!

(I have a feeling that the owner/seller might see that you have a love for these boats that exceeds any feelings he might have for them- he will probably just give you the keys)

From your lips to the owners ears.....

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
This is a good one. no F/B. New tanks great power & the Early Easterns were true JCs. Built nice & low the way they should be.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Larry - I thought you liked the open FB on Kristen? Why the change of heart?
I did but if I bough another she would be topless. Just too much weight up top for a 31 footer. Had I have kept her the F/B was coming off.

tshug

Ensign
Thanks for the all the input. I'll check out Dave's Eastern as well.

Larry, I did inquire about the one in North Carolina and someone is already negotiating on it right now. I'm also waiting for more info from the broker on the one in Westport.

Rockasauras

Captain

Captain Larry,

How would you suppose this JC would compare in ride quality to a 31 Duffy with the same power ? Do they behave the same in a head sea ?

Thanks, Pat

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
I looked at the boat back in May on the way home from our condo in North Myrtle Beach. Spent the afternoon with the owner who is a retired doctor. The layout is great. 88 sq ft cockpit. Fishbox in transom. Plenty of seating. Lots of room around engine and good access. But - The pics in the ad don't reflect the condition of the boat. The raft and epirb are out of date by 6-7 years. Electronics are functional but obsolete. No galley, fuel gage or battery charger. Cushions and canvas show some wear & tear.

The owner built it as a day boat. It would need some updating for what I want but everything I've looked at so far does.

Larry is correct. The owner has an emotional attachment to it that exceeds it's actual value IMO. I've made a couple of offers on it. The last one Jan 1st and waiting to hear back.

Rockasauras

Captain
Bill,

I agree with you on the electronics, canvas and cushions etc., Styling and lines are nice. The engine looks good although the hours are a bit much for me. I suppose it has a 2" shaft ?

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Captain Larry,

How would you suppose this JC would compare in ride quality to a 31 Duffy with the same power ? Do they behave the same in a head sea ?

Thanks, Pat

O'Boy this will be a tricky on but here it goes.
Not because I owned one but in the 31 foot size I preferred the 31 JC.
If we jumped to a 35 I would prefer the 35 Duffy over the 35 JC. It is all about design.
The 31 Duffy is a much smaller 31 footer that a 31 JC. Most 31 Duffy's have motor boxes. The JC gets it greater size from the hard chine cockpit design along with it clipper bow & flare. The 31 Duffy is a round chine boat & much narrow in design than the JC.

In a head sea because of the much sharper entry I would place the JC 1st

In a following sea the Duffy wins hands down. The best handling DE boats in a following sea are the built down ones & no one builds them better than Duffy

Both boats with the same power say 300 HP I would put the Duffy in 1st Place. The Duffy is lighter & smaller making her easier to push. Plus the Duffy designs affords you a greater wheel aperture for a larger wheel than a JC. And we all know tall gears & a big wheel turning slow are the way to go. Both boats with 300 HP est JC @ 17 knots Duffy @ 19.5 knots

As for ride I would say a pretty much dead heat. Except for the above comments. On the drift & the hook I prefer the JC with her hard chines as opposed to round. JCs do drift well if you keep them low. On the ride the JC is a much drier boat. I never had wiper on my 31 in 28 years, thanks to the flared bow and great running angle.

So that my comments pretty much a dead heat. Both boats are diamonds in their own little ways.

PS we forgot to mention curb appeal. Which mean nothing in the ride but a lot in the eye...... The 31 JC has the look. Flares & sweeping bow along with the slight tumble home in the transom gives her a sexy look.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bill,

I agree with you on the electronics, canvas and cushions etc., Styling and lines are nice. The engine looks good although the hours are a bit much for me. I suppose it has a 2" shaft ?

If I had to bet it is a 1.75 shafting. with a 22" wheel. 2" is to larger for a 22" wheel. Very few JCs have 2" shafts for just that reason. The max size wheel on a JC is a 23". A 23" is more that fine with a 1.75 shafting.
Also on this model it was one of the few with the tapered keel. JC was going in the correct design enhancement but it was too late in their career

Top Bottom