Eastern 31 Casco Bay

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
If I had to bet it is a 1.75 shafting. with a 22" wheel. 2" is to larger for a 22" wheel. Very few JCs have 2" shafts for just that reason. The max size wheel on a JC is a 23". A 23" is more that fine with a 1.75 shafting.
Also on this model it was one of the few with the tapered keel. JC was going in the correct design enhancement but it was too late in their career

1 3/4" is what I was told but tech info has not been easy to get. The gear is a 1.77 or 1.78;1 as well.

The owner lives in an association that has a small marina 200 yards from his house so he is not paying big dockage and storage fees which is another reason he's not motivated to sell.

Rockasauras

Captain
If I had to bet it is a 1.75 shafting. with a 22" wheel. 2" is to larger for a 22" wheel. Very few JCs have 2" shafts for just that reason. The max size wheel on a JC is a 23". A 23" is more that fine with a 1.75 shafting.
Also on this model it was one of the few with the tapered keel. JC was going in the correct design enhancement but it was too late in their career

Thanks a bunch for your input ! Would you or could you repower this boat with the small Cummins @ 425/480hp or would there be room for the 8.3 reman using a 1.75 shaft that was splined ? Probably overkill...

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
1 3/4" is what I was told but tech info has not been easy to get. The gear is a 1.77 or 1.78;1 as well.

The owner lives in an association that has a small marina 200 yards from his house so he is not paying big dockage and storage fees which is another reason he's not motivated to sell.

It sounds like this is still a good one to buy. All confirmed. The correct wheel, gearing & Very fine power. The 370 73P Volvo was a honey of a motor. The top RPMs was only 2600, they were full sleeved and a true work horse. I would est the broker sale @ 68K which would be an excellent buy for both buyer & seller. Not to mention the keel & recessed trim tabs along with F/G fuel tanks.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Not sure what the wheel is. Owner says it 3 blade, broker says 4 blade and neither know what size it is. I agree that it's a very good starting point. Appreciate your input on it!

On the repower question, captainlarry may chime in but I don't think you need or want more power on this hull.

I'd like to own it but don't want to overpay. Boat's been for sale for 16 months and the owner obviously doesn't have to sell.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Thanks a bunch for your input ! Would you or could you repower this boat with the small Cummins @ 425/480hp or would there be room for the 8.3 reman using a 1.75 shaft that was splined ? Probably overkill...
The answer is yes. The shafting would be find. But the rubber will not meet the road on a 31 JC. Just too much HP. This boat is powered right where it should be. Remember the largest wheel a JC can fit is a 23" with a very max pitch of 25". That is a lot of wheel to feed water to.
Maybe the 425 HP would work also with a 1:77 gear and a 23 X 23 wheel, but this boat has all you need.
If you are looking for a JC to repower find an older one with a nice 3208 running take out. The motor will sell & most 3208 JCs came with 1.75 shafting.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Here is the only photo I have of the JCs built in 2000 & 01 with the tapped keel. It allowed water to get the center of the wheel for better water flow & speed. This up grade can much to late in the career of JCs being built by Jack Cadario. It is a shame that Eastern & Judge did not use this add on to the keel. The other photos are keel changes made by Eastern & Judge yachts. How there changes worked out I have no knowledge. But JCs change was a home run. The last photo is the keel change that I made when I repowered. I pushed the wetube back as far as I could go & then fared the keel.

12_04_04keel2.jpg

2043053_10[1].jpg

2073665_17[1].jpg

179187[1].jpg

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Always interesting to see the different keel, rudder, and shaft, prop set-ups on the same hull. The rudder on that Judge looks huge!

Did you have any cavitation issues on Kristen before the mods?

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
None before or after. I think the #4 cup was the key as it keep the water off the bottom. As seen wheel clearance is not with specs.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Ted, Sorry for hijacking your thread. If you're looking at DE boats prices are all over the place. Most of them listed by brokers start high and eventually come down. If you know a broker ask them to run some sold values on the boat you're looking at.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
CaptLarry: Question what were the tanks on Kristen, size and and did they run aft forward?

Mine are about 10 inches or so from the transom and run midship. And after the refit, I found they are 75 gal tanks, the original paper work on the boat said the boat had 114gal tanks.

After talking to a few jc owners, they say there boats were heavy in the bow, Mine is the complete opposite, which maybe is what makes her not to bad in a following sea.

tshug

Ensign
Thanks Bill, I plan on going down to look at a 2001 Eastern next weekend. There asking a lot more than I want to spend, but I'll take a look at it and if it's what we like we'll see if they're going to be flexible on their price.

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
Good luck with your trip hope it works out for you, I love my Eastern and can not wait to get her wet again.

Dave

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Always interesting to see the different keel, rudder, and shaft, prop set-ups on the same hull. The rudder on that Judge looks huge!

Did you have any cavitation issues on Kristen before the mods?

If ever there was a true work of art for a D/E bottom it has to be the 42 Wesmac. A hard chinned beauty. The big key with the Wesmac is the was they push the wheel far away from the keel which allows water to flow onto the entire blade area. The amount of structural engineering to achieve this effect is masterful. I rate this keel design #1

IMG-20140105-00425.jpg

tshug

Ensign
Went down to see the 2001 31 Eastern this past weekend. It's being stored inside and everything looked to be in good shape. Question on the prop though, from what I've seen posted here by Larry and others the best prop size they mention has been 22x22. The one I looked at has a 22x25R. Does that pitch sound right for the Cummins 330?

machaca

Lieutenant Commander
it sounds like that is the size I had a 31 w a 315 cummins 2:1 gear had a 23 24 r four blade did 2800 rpm ran great

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Went down to see the 2001 31 Eastern this past weekend. It's being stored inside and everything looked to be in good shape. Question on the prop though, from what I've seen posted here by Larry and others the best prop size they mention has been 22x22. The one I looked at has a 22x25R. Does that pitch sound right for the Cummins 330?

Sounds close. Did you take any pics of the keel in that area? Wondering if it has the taper captlarry noted forward of the prop.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Sounds close. Did you take any pics of the keel in that area? Wondering if it has the taper captlarry noted forward of the prop.
A 22 X 25 sounds correct if she has a 2:0 gear & the motor is rated @ 2600 RPMs.

jsakovits

Captain
Boat Make
36' Calvin Beal
Any feedback on how the Judge 31 keel/skeg would preform in New England waters versus the traditional Eastern/JC keel ?

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Any feedback on how the Judge 31 keel/skeg would preform in New England waters versus the traditional Eastern/JC keel ?
TR

Hard to call there are not many 31 Judge's to compare to. The first two photos are original JC Bottoms. The second two are judge bottoms & the last is a believe and early Eastern version.
In looking at all three I like the Judge look the best. They got the keel away from the wheel & maintained a fully skeg rudder which is always key. The last one I am sure the performance is there, but I just do not trust such a long pipe skeg.

kristen 009.jpg

March photo 06 032.jpg

2073665_18[1].jpg

2073665_17[1].jpg

2043053_10[1].jpg

wdoherty

Lieutenant
Boat Make
31 JC
jc a good value

I have a 1983 jc chesapeake. I have been running it since 1995. It has its original detroit 453 so speed has never been an issue. I run a 24x24 prop on a 1.5 inch shaft. I fish 800 traps out of it in the Boston area. The boat takes considerably more weather than I can--occasionally hauling in 6 foot seas.

DSCN0424.jpg

Top Bottom