Eastporter 18, new to this forum

Dstan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Eastporter 18
Greetings,

I am new to this forum so please excuse any errors I might make.
I picked up a new project boat yesterday, it's a 1988 Eastporter 18', open dory with a 25 hp Johnson - tiller steering. The Title lists the manufacturer as the Passamaquody Yacht Co. in Eastport, ME, but on the web it appears that they are now located in Harrington, ME.

I'll be completely replacing the gunwales, new seat layout (all wood is rotted), and some general repairs to some minor glass abraisions and some cracking along the top edge of the transom. These repairs will commence next spring so I have plenty of time to do research and plan ahead.

Does anyone have information that they could share about the boat ?
(I have not yet tried to contact the builder, not sure if they are forthcoming with information ?)
I would love to get a set of line drawings of the hull, I need to know what the motor rating is and what the maximum load rating is.
I would also like to know more about the construction of the hull, and whether the area below the deck (flat from bow to stern) if hollow or foam-filled.

Any help is greatly appreciated !
Dana

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
Dana, Welcome. Check out the projects section. I am sure you will get a note from EastPorter on this site. The more pictures the better.

Dstan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Eastporter 18
Jk,
Thanks, hopefully I'll get a lot of onfo as time goes by. When it's completed I'll be spending time next fall off of Westport, MA hunting sea ducks !

Dstan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Eastporter 18
Eastporter 18 pictures

Here are two views of the boat. You'll notice that the interior needs a good cleaning, bleach and powerwashing. Then the rails and seats will be removed and replaced. I think I'll install bench seats on each side up as far as the cleat runs.
The deck (sole) seems to be in pretty good shape and is quite solid, though there is a slight crack along where the deck meets the hull.
I assume that the space below the deck is foam filled (?). If so, and if I can find out what this boat wieghed when it was new, perhaps I can get it on a scale and determine whether the foam is water-logged. ( I hope that this is not the case, but it's been uncovered for awhile and the cracks might have allowed rain water to leach through ?)
So to go on,...if the foam is not water-logged, I think I'll apply a new layer of glass over the deck, cover the crack and run up the sides a few inches, then lay down a non-slip deck material (??)..any thoughts ??

Thanks, dana

DSC04060.jpg

DSC04062.jpg

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Welcome to the forum!
Here's my link to see the rebuild of my 1976 20' Eastporter.

http://downeastboatforum.com/downea...ing/eastporter-20-1976-2011-rebuild-1113.html

My boat had old, soggy (open cell) styrofoam in the bilge. It was cut into strips and laid between the stringers. I removed it and replaced with closed cell insulation from Home Depot/Lowes etc.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm glad to help. The deeper you tear into this boat the more you will see. How's the transom?

Dstan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Eastporter 18
Eastporter 18

Hi Eastporter,

Thanks for replying, appreciate any and all help and advice !
(you are in Mass also, perhaps sometime this Fall or in the spring you could come by to look at it ? depending on where you are located, I am in Franklin)
I guess my biggest concern remains...is the foam wet and heavy,..and how might I tell without tearing up the deck ? Doing some test cores perhaps ? (if it isn't wet I'd just cover the cracks and move on)
I looked at your thread on the rebuild of the 20', and wonder if the construction of the hull is the same as mine ? (wooden stringers laid laterally along the bottom)
The transom looks okay, but there is some cracking of the glass along the top edge only (you can see a hint of this in the bottom photo, beiside the motor) I figured that I could do an overlay repair along the edge and leave it alone for now.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Dstan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Eastporter 18
Sounds like a spring time project. Probably cut out a few sections and start investigating.
If it is wet it's probably been so for several years at least (the boat is a 1988), and therefore has sat through past winters. I guess the freeze-thaw hasn't caused the hull to split yet, maybe it'll survive another one ?

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Dstan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Eastporter 18
I plan to keep it for a long time (I hope!), so it'll need to be done right. No sense pushing all of that extra weight around, the boat is underpowered with a 25 hp anyway. (maybe that's why the previous owner said the motor would not get the boat up on plane ?)
I am going to try to find out what the boat should weigh, bare hull,..then compare.

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Dstan,
I would suggest you plan for the worst case scenario - full gut job. Do it right the first time. Longitudinal stringers on mine and no lateral stringers.
Give yourself the winter and spring and probably you can dunk it in June.
The transom will probably be soft- especially due to delamination on the top as you stated earlier. I'm in Mattapoisett but feel free to send me an email about any part of the rebuild. Passamaquoddy Yacht Co. went out of business, but the molds were sold and I think Tri-Town Marine in Harrington, ME had them last.

Top Bottom