Eastporter

Eleanor B

Ensign
Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a 20ft Eastporter lobster boat not so tippy?

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
Lets see some pictures. They made many different configurations...inboard...outboards....I/O's....wheelhouse and center console versions of each...some with keels some not..

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
I'm going to put Smart Tabs on mine (self leveling with nitrogen gas shocks- independent of each other). I'll keep you posted on how they work. The center console would be better I would think, as the pilothouse raises the center of gravity with weight above the waterline.

Next year if the Smart Tabs don't work- I will install lifting rails on the sides below water line to give it more surface area to stabilize the roll. Look at photos of Tuna's 22 Sisu that is for sale to see how the Lowell Brothers put the spray/lifting rail to reduce roll.

SHORT STEP

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Tripp / midland
I have a 20' cabin mod . glued a 6" keel on with west epoxy , glued 30" rolling chocks on each side also, slowed the roll a little but its a lite narrow boat .
dont have any pics can take some in dec when i haul it
bob

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
I have a 20' cabin mod . glued a 6" keel on with west epoxy , glued 30" rolling chocks on each side also, slowed the roll a little but its a lite narrow boat .
dont have any pics can take some in dec when i haul it
bob

Was it worth the effort? Did it slow the boat any due to more drag? Thanks for posting photos in the future.

SHORT STEP

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Tripp / midland
keel

I dont think it slowed the speed down much , steers better , slowed the roll a little . wasnt much effort . cove the 2x6 to match the existing keel , mix epoxy (slow) thickened with cabasil ,wedge it up from the trailer and let it dry .
mertons has the best prices
bob

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
I dont think it slowed the speed down much , steers better , slowed the roll a little . wasnt much effort . cove the 2x6 to match the existing keel , mix epoxy (slow) thickened with cabasil ,wedge it up from the trailer and let it dry .
mertons has the best prices
bob

Thanks for the feedback. Very interested in doing this in the spring. Photos and dimensions will be helpful. Thank you!

SHORT STEP

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Tripp / midland
re keel

the reason I did this was to stop swinging at anchor . with more wind surface than wet resistance it would swing when fishing in rockey bottom which equals a lot of lost tackle . I just put the chocks on this year and I have not bottom fished yet . the keel didnt offfer much help
bob

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
the reason I did this was to stop swinging at anchor . with more wind surface than wet resistance it would swing when fishing in rockey bottom which equals a lot of lost tackle . I just put the chocks on this year and I have not bottom fished yet . the keel didnt offfer much help
bob

Does the larger keel help with the following sea?

SHORT STEP

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Tripp / midland
re re

Im on Long Island Sound not much of a sea here

Last edited:
Top Bottom