Easy bird defense suggestions?

lindse8707

Ensign
Hi there, just curious if anyone has had any luck with a simple bird defense solution that doesn't involve running lines in a time consuming manner?

Thanks in advance!

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
There have been some discussion on the forum about this. My idea (maybe others also) was using the fresh water or seawater wash down system and an IR sensor with a sprinkler nozzle.

Those bird sweeps work, but they are a PIA to deal with. I agree, fishing line sucks.

forum discussion link

southshore30

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
36 Northern Bay

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made
Last edited:

Paul Gavaza

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Black Horse 33
A guy a few moorings away from me has a Bird B Gone sound machine that makes sounds of various birds in distress. The idea is that something like a gull will hear it and stay away. I watched no less than 10 gulls circling around his boat Saturday afternoon looking really pissed, trying to figure out the noise. None landed, however.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
There have been some discussion on the forum about this. My idea (maybe others also) was using the fresh water or seawater wash down system and an IR sensor with a sprinkler nozzle.

Those bird sweeps work, but they are a PIA to deal with. I agree, fishing line sucks.

forum discussion link

forum discussion link
I bought all the stuff to do this. The sensor opens a solenoid valve which drops pressure and pump kicks on. Heads recesssd into gunnel. A remote so when you approach boat you can shut it off. Im not sure if it will work was gonna set it up in driveway when I have time

BDA2E407-2980-4DAA-9CD7-66AF39BB9013.jpeg

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
I bought all the stuff to do this. The sensor opens a solenoid valve which drops pressure and pump kicks on. Heads recesssd into gunnel. A remote so when you approach boat you can shut it off. Im not sure if it will work was gonna set it up in driveway when I have time

View attachment 111112
awesome!

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
This will work.

. View attachment 111100

All kiding aside Greg /Patricia lynn used one of those birds hung off a pole. I think we hung it off his layed down antenna. His trouble was a Osprey nest on his housetop and the gulls would bother the Ospreys.

I also know a guy down the Haaba who hung one of those rubber chickens and he swears by it.
I was going to say a 12 gauge 3" mag with #6 high density shot is the absolute best bird deterrent money can buy. Even better if there's a red, white and blue bikini behind the trigger!

ErikT

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Erik
Boat Make
Crowley Beal 28

stimmy

Ensign
I tried rubber snakes on my boat but some birds stole them. The birds were probably unhappy when they tried to eat them.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I have a "GullCat" and it seems to work great. I just use it in May & June when there aren't many other boats to choose from. But Terns aren't the problem here Osprey and Gulls mainly. The rest of the year light line between the antennas with streamers of tape seem to work. The friend that gave me the cat said they were expensive so I have a string on it to tether it in a blow but it has never moved.

Sleepwalker

Commander
I was interested in the gull cat too, so I checked out Amazon. Here is one review. Of course it's an Amazon review so bear that in mind.

1623586572281.png

Top Bottom