Economical 32-34' Downeast Designs.

bluefin039

Lieutenant
I am looking for a downeaster in the 32-34' range that will push easily. I want to cruise 20-22 knots and get 1.5 mpg or better. I am looking for advice or thoughts on what the best hull designs are to do this. I really like the 34 southshore and am also curious about the 33 flowers.

I looked at the new Calvin 34, but I am afraid it is too wide and too big of a 34' boat to produce the numbers I am looking for.

Any and all advice and or criticism is appreciated.

cb34

Rear Admiral
speed

Sport fish boat 17-18kts possible, 20-22kts 1.5 or better:rolleyes:

OLD BAY

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Wasque 32, Shelter Island 38

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I am looking for a downeaster in the 32-34' range that will push easily. I want to cruise 20-22 knots and get 1.5 mpg or better. I am looking for advice or thoughts on what the best hull designs are to do this. I really like the 34 southshore and am also curious about the 33 flowers.

I looked at the new Calvin 34, but I am afraid it is too wide and too big of a 34' boat to produce the numbers I am looking for.

Any and all advice and or criticism is appreciated.

Bluefine- I finished a new 34 x 13 Calvin Beal a few years ago, it had a 500hp Cummins 8.3, 1.75:1 reduction, 26x28 prop. At sea trial I was light, but at a 22.6 knot cruise I was burning 14 gallons per hour. And that is with no tide padding my numbers, those were true numbers. That is 1.6 nmpg. Once we got the weight to a more "real world" number (which was still light compared to most boats of its size), at 22.6 knots the fuel burn was about 15.5 gph. That is still 1.45 nmpg; and that was with a 26" diameter prop. The 34 Calvin will fit a 28" diameter prop, which is a little bit more efficient than the 26". I know that boat would have got 1.5 nmpg if it had a 28" prop.

One thing you have to remember, is the beamier 34' Calvin is going to carry the weight better because it has more lift than the narrower and shorter boat. The Calvin Beals are designed to carry weight, they are flat in the stern and keep their beam going aft.

Now I'm sure the 33 Flowers will be every bit as efficient as the 34 Calvin Beal, and from all accounts, it is a very nice boat, but the 34 Calvin is a bigger boat. If you are going to spend the money, get as big of a boat as you can afford.

If you plan on building a fully decked out cruiser, than I think the 1.5 nmpg may be a stretch in the 34' Calvin, but in my humble opinion, you cannot get a more efficient boat in the size range you are looking. Good luck.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I would suggest the Flowers 33 for all around performance, speed, ride, and fuel efficiency. If you could get one, a 34 Wayne Beal would be a good choice too.
With a normal load on my 36 Flowers I can cruise 22kts burning 18-19gph, so you can still get better than a mile to the gallon. The big key to getting good speed and efficiency with a DE is balancing the weights properly.

Top Bottom