Efficiency of Downeast Boats

pjitty

Lieutenant
Boat Make
2004 Regal 2465, 19' home built Downeaster
OK, so we know Downeast boats are seaworthy, but are they the absolute best when it comes to Efficency. I'm not talking displacement speed but cruising speed 15 to 21 miles per hour. I'm looking for a 28' cruiser for me and my wife [kids are grown], also not looking to cross the ocean, but some coastal cruising, probabily to the Florida Keys. Any thoughts!!!

Joe D

pjitty

Lieutenant
Boat Make
I looked at the Cats and from what I understand their only slightly more efficient [I could be wrong]. I kind of like the more traditional layout of the Downeast boats, also the style. My problem with a modern looking boat is they look dated after a few years. My wife likes the 27' Ranger Tug. I got some time so I'll just keep looking...

Joe D

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
Full displacement boat are the most efficient but the slowest, at 28 feet you'll boast 7-8 knots. Semi displacement boats are very effiecient as well, but relies more on hull design. You can't just clump DE's into one hull design. The longer narrow the boat is, with round bilges and soft lines are probably going to be your best bet.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
You take a cape islander novi design and they push about easy as any hull out there with minimal power,but its not going to be a speed boat,9 knot.A 36 Northern Bay goes along good with little power.In the size you mention a 28 Calvin/ Mitchell Cove,31 Duffy,30 Young Brothers or a 30 South Shore, AJ 28,I think Crowley makes a 28 also.

Last edited:

VPC

Lieutenant Commander
Things to consider

Efficiency is a very interesting term, today I think anyone on this site can agree that by and large we travel further for our fish and therefore speed is a critical factor. Most post I read on here are looking for that magical 20 plus knots for a downeaster. Speed when speaking of lobster boats comes at a price. And that price is going to be dramatically impacted at the pump this year and for years to come.One builder stated and he made a lot of sense that sometimes bigger is not always better. Seems like for boats 28 plus in length with modern widths 2 miles to the gallons a good number, so that being said from my experiences 4 strokes pushing comporable size boats may burn comporable numbers but your speed is usually much better. The key factors are use of boat and distances traveled to and from the grounds.
I think everyone would agree that once you pass 500 horsepower you will be sucking some fuel

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

pjitty

Lieutenant
Boat Make
VPC, I have a 24' gas cruiser that gets 2 mpg. Not good enough. I've read claims of 28' boats [MJM, Ranger Tug] that get as much as 4 to 6 mpg at cruising speed, thats what I'm looking for. With gas prices rising, I still want to be on the water with out breaking the bank, which brings me back to my original question, are Downeast boats Efficient and what can I expect from a 28' Downeaster...:?::?::?:

Joe D

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
VPC, I have a 24' gas cruiser that gets 2 mpg. Not good enough. I've read claims of 28' boats [MJM, Ranger Tug] that get as much as 4 to 6 mpg at cruising speed, thats what I'm looking for. With gas prices rising, I still want to be on the water with out breaking the bank, which brings me back to my original question, are Downeast boats Efficient and what can I expect from a 28' Downeaster...:?::?::?:

Joe D
if you want 6 nmpg get ready to go 7-8 knots, thats it.

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
OK, so we know Downeast boats are seaworthy, but are they the absolute best when it comes to Efficency. I'm not talking displacement speed but cruising speed 15 to 21 miles per hour. I'm looking for a 28' cruiser for me and my wife [kids are grown], also not looking to cross the ocean, but some coastal cruising, probabily to the Florida Keys. Any thoughts!!!
Not going to happen, Joe. Neither a displacement hull nor a semi-displacement (the least efficient design of the three) will provide the speeds you're looking for and a planning hull won't deliver the fuel burn you've mentioned. My recommendation to you is to adjust your need for speed and take a serious look at a Willard 30 or a Prairie 30 (the latter being the larger boat). Both are well designed, fuel efficient, properly laid out and can be had for a fraction of what a decent downeaster will cost.

Super Suck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Lasco 5' fiberglass
I'm guessing to many "efficiency of downeast boats" means
how many lobster pots or thousands of pounds of fish it can hold.
I got a friend up here in Boston who tells me he used to hold 10,000 lbs of dogfish on his 32 BHM back when it was worth fishing for, thats efficiency and productive in my book.

My dad's 32 BHM carried 10k of dogs over the Chatham Bar

pjitty

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Downeaster, I hear ya, I have the plans for the http://glacierboats.com, he's claiming 522 NMPG @ 120 gallons of gas for this design at 19 NMPH, that's a little over 4 MPG. Sounds slightly optimistic. Even if gas hits $5.00 per gallon we'll have to cut back a little [maybe a little more]. Right now I'm still working so things are not to bad financially, but in a few years when I retire maybe we will go with a Trawler or even a Sail Boat, [can't believe I said sailboat]. Hopefully some one will come out with a break thru electric motor or some other propulsion system thats more efficient, before I retire...

Joe D

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
Downeaster, I hear ya, I have the plans for the http://glacierboats.com, he's claiming 522 NMPG @ 120 gallons of gas for this design at 19 NMPH, that's a little over 4 MPG. Sounds slightly optimistic. Even if gas hits $5.00 per gallon we'll have to cut back a little [maybe a little more]. Right now I'm still working so things are not to bad financially, but in a few years when I retire maybe we will go with a Trawler or even a Sail Boat, [can't believe I said sailboat]. Hopefully some one will come out with a break thru electric motor or some other propulsion system thats more efficient, before I retire...

Joe D
all that is is a tolman skiff, go find some owners, they be more inclined to tell you real world burn. As far as alernative propulsion, you have more weight in batteries then the electric motor can get on plane, now you are back down to displacment speed. Your best bet, displacement catmaran. World cats are planing hulls, get about 2mpg and are relativley quick for their power. Glacier bay cats are displacment hulls, closer to 3 nmpg, with new 4 strokes. So invetably what your going to save in gas is going to be multiplied by paying for fancy high tech outboards on a cat hull.

pjitty

Lieutenant
Boat Make
If you check out the MJM 29Z http://mjmyachts.com, and click on efficiency, they claim the 29Z gets over 3 NMPG at cruising speed. A little closer to the mark, as far as economy is concerned. Of course the down side is these boats go for over $400,000 loaded. Gotta keep looking...

Joe D

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
If you check out the MJM 29Z http://mjmyachts.com, and click on efficiency, they claim the 29Z gets over 3 NMPG at cruising speed. A little closer to the mark, as far as economy is concerned. Of course the down side is these boats go for over $400,000 loaded. Gotta keep looking...

Joe D

Come to think of it, i would look into the grover built, if i remeber right they can muster up 13-14mph (12 knots) with a lehmans diesel burning 3-4 gph.
They are neat little boats, and quite seaworthy. Reasonable $ wise

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Please keep in mind that the traditional "downeaster" typically used as a lobster boat when the internal combustion engine came onto the scene was designed to go 12 kts with 60 hp.

Just sayin'

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
A traditional lobster style hull will go its hull speed with very little power,its when the water clears the stern that the power comes into play.The bigger the hull the higher the hull speed.Did you ever wonder why you cant keep up with those steamers?

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Fun fact: A Japanese Destroyer could run over a PT Boat in a straight line. Same principal. Lots of commuter steamers used to submarine back in the day, the faster they went the lower they got, back to downeasters now.

WC1966

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Webbers Cove 34
Efficency

Joe D
This is an interesting article that helped me get a better understanding of "EFFICENCY" A long read, however explained in language that I can understand. Tony Athens has the background, experience and knowledge that he freely shares.
http://boatdiesel.com/Articles/Articles.cfm

Top Bottom