Electra-Dyne Haulers ???

Cichlidgeek

Lieutenant
Hey guys,
Been really looking at getting into the recreational lobster hobby and was wondering what you all thought about the Electra-Dyne haulers.

I realize these can't haul a ton of gear, but here in New Jersey we can only fish 10 traps, and those guys that rec lobster suggest fishing doubles, so that means five doubles.

I would be fishing depths around 50 to 60 feet, maybe a bit shallower.

Can anyone give me some thoughts on these haulers for my needs?

Thanks all,
---Brian

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Just buy the ED with the 30:1 reduction and don't look back. I've sold over 250 ED's and nobody has been able to bust one here(yet), most guys are fishing 2 and 3 pot lines, yes the pots are smaller but we usually fish from 500-700 ft deep and some guys are fishing 5 pot lines. Wire it with 4 gauge wire and a 100amp breaker and you be fine. I'm thinking you'll be fishing no more than 100' deep probably shallower on the rocks or the reefs ?? I commercial fished out of shark river and manasquan for 25 years so i know that country well. Do a bulkhead flush mount or build a nice davit for it and you'll have years of trouble free service. When your ready to buy call Electra Dyne and talk with Judy or Larry tell them i sent ya !!

ED at F'banks Show 2013.jpg

P3250334.jpg

ED on claudes .jpg

ED at F'banks Show 2013.jpg

P3250334.jpg

ED on claudes .jpg

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Steve, which model do I want for hauling anchors on my 31 duffy. I prefer both speed and power. Thanks!

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Steve, which model do I want for hauling anchors on my 31 duffy. I prefer both speed and power. Thanks!

All i sell here is the 10" with the 30:1 gear box, the guys tell me they are getting aprox 200ft/min but call them and talk with Larry so you get the right model.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Chic,

I ordered the 30:1 Electradyne with the SS sheaves.
$1350 ish direct from Larry @ Electradyne.
Received it 2 days later.
BEEFY unit, weighs 73 lbs.

Buy it !!

You going to build a nice davit to go with it ???

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
This is my first foray into electric . The acess in this duffy sucks. Installing hydros will be a major time consuming pain in the ass. And i just dont have the time. AND its already wired for a capstan. Taking the easy way out. Pretty much everyone here uses electric ( more than half anyway) no one complains at all and no failures. I also prescribe to the Travis school of wiring. Bigger is definitely better.

Cichlidgeek

Lieutenant
You guys are great!

Thanks for all of the replies. I am sitting back educating myself watching you guys with far more experience and knowledge chat back and forth.

Thanks!!

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.
Last edited:

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
You can always get carried away and sand blast, epoxy prime & Awlgrip paint one like I did to be different than everyone else :rolleyes:

I've got another 10 inch one in my garage needing a new 12 volt motor all disassembled I plan to sandblast, prime & paint at some point when I have time and will most likely sell.
You can pick your own colors :rolleyes:

that thing is pretty !! hows the paint holding up on the inside where the rope runs ?? or do you have a set of liners in it ??

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
Nice. I also painted my discs orange. I run a 12" hydroslave hydraulic. 24 gallon pump

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Primer

Did you use awlgrip primer on it ? I definitely want to paint the motor before install. Not to stray too far , but anyfeedback on hydroslaves electric? One friend has a charterboat and fishes a lot. He has HS for 7 long seasons with 0 issues too.

msp1140

Lieutenant
Electric Hauler Question

I was wondering if anyone has used the Electra-Dyne hauler for hauling bait nets in the North East or use to pull the anchor when tuna fishing.
I was given a Hyrdro-Slave 10 " electric and it just doesn't have the balls without stopping hauler a 100 ft. net in 350 ft of water.I would like to know if I purchased the Electra-Dyne would it do a better job.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I was wondering if anyone has used the Electra-Dyne hauler for hauling bait nets in the North East or use to pull the anchor when tuna fishing.
I was given a Hyrdro-Slave 10 " electric and it just doesn't have the balls without stopping hauler a 100 ft. net in 350 ft of water.I would like to know if I purchased the Electra-Dyne would it do a better job.

Sorry i didn't get to answer your pm. Is there a plate on your present hauler showing the reduction of the gearbox ? I'd think a ED with a 40:1 gearbox should work very well for hauling a small net, I sell the 10" with a 30:1 gearbox and the guys here haul 3-5 shrimp pots out of 100 fathoms with no problems. ED can build a hauler with a 60:1 gearbox or if your just hauling the nets buoyline and your anchor then ED's capstan might be a option. Call Larry at ED and see what he has to say.
ED capstan 3.jpg

ED capstan.jpg

ED capstan 3.jpg

ED capstan.jpg

Teaserhead

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1990 Flye Pt. 32 BHM
Steve, do you sell those capstan pullers as well? With our short prawn & dungy seasons, I don't want anything mounted permanent on my cruiser, that puller would work great for me! I could wire in heavier wire to stbd Scotty rigger, fab some kind if quick detach on my swivel mount and easily take it on and off. I could then mount another Scotty mount under the bunk in the cuddly, stow it there, it wouldn't fly around, and I would have it with me at all times. That would be so sweet! Thanks

Top Bottom