Electric hauler

cb34

Rear Admiral
Is it best to wire an electric hauler to house or start battery? thanks...

cb34

Rear Admiral
experience

Anyone with any experience with an electric hauler....

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Anyone with any experience with an electric hauler....

Will,

I just bought an Electradyne 10" 30:1 hauler with SS sleeves for the Blackfin, yes I'm keeping the boat for the foreseeable future.

My plan is to use #6 wire, a 100 amp breaker and connect the hauler directly to the 31 AGM house battery.

The boat has two isolated 31 AGM batteries, one for each engine.

Both engines charge the house battery through an isolator.

"IF" I find the amp draw when using the hauler "dims" the house :D then I'll wire it direct to one of the starting batterys

The 100 amp breaker has an "off/on" toggle so if wired to a starting battery, the battery stays "isolated".

I guess in the end, it really doesn't matter what battery ?? :D

FWIW,

Bill D

Tunascapes

Commander
Just my suggestion, definitely the house side. I watch the voltage drop pretty good depending on load and would not want it in the start side. We sit on anchor for hours on end and just a quick ten min start to reset is not enough for the start to charge back up in my case. Draw really isn't bad but better to be cautious.

Like bill stated 100 amp is the way to go. I guessed at a 60amp and would blow it every time I loaded it up.

cb34

Rear Admiral
hauler

Bill D, I was thinking when we passed in the river last week.... wow that is a beautiful boat. Just mounted the same hauler on my gin pole/ davit. Wired it with #4 w/125amp breaker. So the house would be best even if I plan on running the engine while hauling?

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Bill D, I was thinking when we passed in the river last week.... wow that is a beautiful boat. Just mounted the same hauler on my gin pole/ davit. Wired it with #4 w/125amp breaker. So the house would be best even if I plan on running the engine while hauling?

Thanks, the Blackfin is a pretty boat as is your Calvin South Shore.
You went by yesterday afternoon around 2pm, I was checking traps off PI beach.

After 7 different DE hull sea trials I did not find one that "tickled my fancy enough" to justify selling the Blackfin at a big $loss$ and spending an extra 40K-50K with me doing most all the finish work.

ALL boats are compromises, for now the Blackfin is less of a compromise. :D

Back to the hauler, as Tunascapes stated, wire to the house, that's what I'll do. I'll never use the hauler without both engines running and charging the house.

For anchoring and hauling the anchor the Blackfin has a windlass.

You NEVER want to risk a dead starting battery :confused:

btw, "still would like a ride on your CB, dam she's pretty !!!

Beautiful ocean day yesterday. Went out to Jefferries, one blue shark, cod.haddock/pollack.

Steamed back @ 2600 rpm cruise 24 knots, NICE !!

Last edited:

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Capt. Rick

Commander
Boat Make
31 RP Willis Beal
I have an Electradyne 30:1 hauler on my charter boat. We do a lot of wreck fishing, sometimes in deep water (for me deep means 100-160'), multiple drops, double anchors. I have a dedicated battery for the hauler wired to its own 135 amp circuit breaker, wired with 4 gauge wire. Have 2 other batteries, one house, and one starting. You will need at least a 125 amp alternator to keep up with the demand, set up with an isolater. I always plug in to my guest 10 amp charger when I get back to the dock to make sure they are always topped off. My batteries are all 4D Glass Matts. I suppose you could try to get away with running the hauler off the starting or house battery but I would not want to risk it especially during the winter months. This set up works well, proven over the last 8 years, on 2 different boats. One other thought, give some thought to the placement of the batteries and hauler location as the combined weight of these items is over 400 lbs. BTY also have a sidepower bow thruster which is also wired in to the hauler battery.

BHM31

Lieutenant
I have the same setup as Rick and run mine off of my house 8D without any issues. If you install a higher capacity alternator, I agree 125 amps would be the minimum, just make sure your existing engine wiring can handle the additional output. Luckily when I upgraded the alternator supplier warned me about this and ended up upgrading those as well.

Palawanbound

Lieutenant
Boat Make
30 ft Flowers
I have the hydro slave electric pot hauler,in the past I have hauled oversized 4 foot lobster traps on 50 fathom warps no problem,I have a 150 amp breaker run off of either batteries with no problem.I used to have trouble with the brushes on the old electradynes but I think they have changed.My buddy just bought a 2hp electric motor for his hydroslave & loves it,my next investment only because we have so many people lobstering in my area that if I get snarled with to many other traps it is hard on things.

duxbait

Captain
How would you guys wire a hauler on a small outboard boat. 140 Suzuki with a 40amp alternator. Electradyne says the hauler draws 36-45amps. Would have to run off a separate battery that I recharge every day or could I link it to my existing battery system?

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I've sold just over 200 Electra Dyne's and 95% of them are on boats under 25' most guys wire them direct to one of their batteries , 4 ga wire & 100 amp breaker, just leave your motor idling while hauling and you should be fine. Most of my customers are fishing 2 & 3 traps on a line and we fish in anywhere from 400-600 ft deep. Here's a few pics of some of the installs they have done.
ED harveys ED Davit.jpg

ED on claudes .jpg

ED Glacier craft Mark Ha's boat.jpg

ED Toms cabin back.jpg

ED harveys ED Davit.jpg

ED on claudes .jpg

ED Glacier craft Mark Ha's boat.jpg

ED Toms cabin back.jpg

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name