Electric haulers ..Electradyne vs hydroslave

PatriciaLynn

Captain
Boat Make
Repco
I have also been thinking about just adding a second fairlead to the hauler to use to slip rope on the sheaves. It is pretty controllable, just need to experiment with the right angle to get some, but not too much resistance.

PatriciaLynn

Captain
Boat Make
Repco
That is a nice setup for hauling out of deep water. Not great for turn-and-burn hauling.

I am always surprised to see west coast fishermen hauling into tubs or baskets. No one does that here that I know of. Smart. Especially if you are new to it.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
That is a nice setup for hauling out of deep water. Not great for turn-and-burn hauling.

I am always surprised to see west coast fishermen hauling into tubs or baskets. No one does that here that I know of. Smart. Especially if you are new to it.
my guys all think you have to coil the rope into something or it will snarl ??? When i tell them to flake the rope they just get that "it won't work" look in their eyes ! That's why i came up with my rope totes that fold up to store out of the way on those small boats. They hold aprox 1800ft of 5/16" rope in them. They work great for purging shrimp(gets rid of the shit in the vein) or bleeding salmon when hung off of a cleat. ED rope tote 4 spools.jpg ED rope tote with shrimp 2.JPG

Fouraces59

Commander
First Name
Jay
Boat Make
26 Seaway CC
So I see and have read people using the ED's for recreational and commercial applications, have read what Steve said about hauling 5 traps trawls from deep water (100 fathom) and others say they haul 100 lobster traps out to 100 ft.

My question/concern is how about hauling 200-300 traps a day say in a 10-12 trap trawl anywhere from 8-12 fathoms. Can the ED manage this? Is it running of a dedicated battery or supplemented with solar panels? Will and Outboard be enough to keep the battery charged to get through that much gear? If/ when I sell the current boat this is the operation I am looking to get into so have had similar questions about ED vs Hydroslave with a power pack.

For a recreational application I think the ED would be fine. One of the concerns for me is the no reverse and maybe it is just how I haul but once the trap is hanging at the rail I like to back off on the hauler just a bit to give me slack to slide the trap onto the rail rather than having to reach out and lift it out of the block and land it on the rail. 10 traps not a big deal but if hauling hundreds a day the reverse will save on Physical Therapy appointments and lifelong back issues, trust me. Also the speed factor and being able to turn and burn is a consideration especially if your schedule limits how much time you have or you have gear that needs to be hauled at slack tide.

The Lebalnc 24 I missed out on a few years ago had an ED and I was interested and willing to try it if I got the boat but for what I hope to be doing I think I would tend towards the hydros. Would love to hear if anyone uses the ED as i have described and it works well for them

PatriciaLynn

Captain
Boat Make
Repco
I know there are lobstermen up here that use them. I hear people replace gearboxes and/or motors here and there, not the end of the world. One in particular is my daughter's lobster sponsor. He hauls 200-300 traps from May-November out of a 20-something outboard skiff. Loves his ED.

Not trying to sell you, just provide real, commercial use examples.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
So I see and have read people using the ED's for recreational and commercial applications, have read what Steve said about hauling 5 traps trawls from deep water (100 fathom) and others say they haul 100 lobster traps out to 100 ft.

My question/concern is how about hauling 200-300 traps a day say in a 10-12 trap trawl anywhere from 8-12 fathoms. Can the ED manage this? Is it running of a dedicated battery or supplemented with solar panels? Will and Outboard be enough to keep the battery charged to get through that much gear? If/ when I sell the current boat this is the operation I am looking to get into so have had similar questions about ED vs Hydroslave with a power pack.

For a recreational application I think the ED would be fine. One of the concerns for me is the no reverse and maybe it is just how I haul but once the trap is hanging at the rail I like to back off on the hauler just a bit to give me slack to slide the trap onto the rail rather than having to reach out and lift it out of the block and land it on the rail. 10 traps not a big deal but if hauling hundreds a day the reverse will save on Physical Therapy appointments and lifelong back issues, trust me. Also the speed factor and being able to turn and burn is a consideration especially if your schedule limits how much time you have or you have gear that needs to be hauled at slack tide.

The Lebalnc 24 I missed out on a few years ago had an ED and I was interested and willing to try it if I got the boat but for what I hope to be doing I think I would tend towards the hydros. Would love to hear if anyone uses the ED as i have described and it works well for them
shorten your davit so you don't have to reach to far out to land the traps also lower the hauling block so the traps are easier to just slide on to the rail. If you have to use reverse to land your trap you wont be happy with a ED same goes to a lot of speed you can't kick up the rpm's to haul faster with a ED like you can with hydro's. Your sure in a hurry for a guy with a bad back :rolleyes:. Rope still is going to want to jump out of the plates no matter if you have a ED or hydro, only way to keep it in the plates is with one of those spring loaded idler wheels you see on the canadian rigs.
1606953353718.png
1606953404011.png

1606953936484.png

i built this simple hauler/davit for my bowpicker when i was playing around shrimping. Davit arm was 3" aluminum angle that bolted on/off when i didn't need it.
P8110093.JPG

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Fouraces59

Commander
First Name
Jay
Boat Make
26 Seaway CC
I know there are lobstermen up here that use them. I hear people replace gearboxes and/or motors here and there, not the end of the world. One in particular is my daughter's lobster sponsor. He hauls 200-300 traps from May-November out of a 20-something outboard skiff. Loves his ED.

Not trying to sell you, just provide real, commercial use examples.
Thanks Good to know

Fouraces59

Commander
First Name
Jay
Boat Make
26 Seaway CC
shorten your davit so you don't have to reach to far out to land the traps also lower the hauling block so the traps are easier to just slide on to the rail. If you have to use reverse to land your trap you wont be happy with a ED same goes to a lot of speed you can't kick up the rpm's to haul faster with a ED like you can with hydro's. Your sure in a hurry for a guy with a bad back :rolleyes:. Rope still is going to want to jump out of the plates no matter if you have a ED or hydro, only way to keep it in the plates is with one of those spring loaded idler wheels you see on the canadian rigs.
View attachment 95956
View attachment 95957

View attachment 95958

i built this simple hauler/davit for my bowpicker when i was playing around shrimping. Davit arm was 3" aluminum angle that bolted on/off when i didn't need it.
View attachment 95960
Yes, adjusting heights of block and davit will help. The reverse is helpful too with crossovers and dealing with messes, more so prone with trawls than singles. Plan is to do be fishing in afternoons after work so be able scoot out and haul 150 or so like I used to before the sun sets. Also, way I was taught, you never know what the next trawl will bring, could take 15 min or 45 so let's not waste time.
All that being said I would still like to see one in action and have contemplated putting one on the 14' skiff we have now that we pull singles by hand with

PatriciaLynn

Captain
Boat Make
Repco
Yes, adjusting heights of block and davit will help. The reverse is helpful too with crossovers and dealing with messes, more so prone with trawls than singles. Plan is to do be fishing in afternoons after work so be able scoot out and haul 150 or so like I used to before the sun sets. Also, way I was taught, you never know what the next trawl will bring, could take 15 min or 45 so let's not waste time.
All that being said I would still like to see one in action and have contemplated putting one on the 14' skiff we have now that we pull singles by hand with
I will take some video next time I am hauli g scallop cages. Probably be a few weeks.

Singles are easy to race through, pull trap up, slide onto rail, pop line out of hauler to drop on rail, pull lobsters, crabs etc, rebait, then reset. I am not as fast at trawls.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User
Top Bottom