Electric Trucks - Who's Going to Jump In?

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Brooksie

Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
i think not its pretty ez to google search it.
this is my search, page 2 article 2: ev compared to ice fires
Yes question the sorce will we get a "fake news"
The third-party online organization AutoInsuranceEZ recently published additional information after diving into data from the National Transportation Safety Board and government recall statistics. Hybrid vehicle fires ranked first with 3474.5 fires per 100,000 vehicle sales (16,051 fires). Next came ICE cars with 1520.9 fires per 100,000 sales (199,533 fires). BEVs were at the very bottom of this calamity heap with only 25.1 fires per 100,000 vehicle sales (52 fires).
I would question why they chose to use SALES numbers rather than REGISTRATION numbers as a baseline ??
I would further question why they used fires after collisions which automatically excludes most EV fires which occur while charging ??
This leads me to believe there's an axe to grind here.
Sorry but I tend to discount most government figures. I do, however, know people who's HO insurance rates have risen b/c they have an EV in an attached garage. Insurance underwriters aren't in the habit of lying to themselves.

AJ2020

Commodore
Lite User
Boat Make
Duffy 35

samhop

1st Mate
i think not its pretty ez to google search it.
this is my search, page 2 article 2: ev compared to ice fires
Yes question the sorce will we get a "fake news"
The third-party online organization AutoInsuranceEZ recently published additional information after diving into data from the National Transportation Safety Board and government recall statistics. Hybrid vehicle fires ranked first with 3474.5 fires per 100,000 vehicle sales (16,051 fires). Next came ICE cars with 1520.9 fires per 100,000 sales (199,533 fires). BEVs were at the very bottom of this calamity heap with only 25.1 fires per 100,000 vehicle sales (52 fires).
Brooksie:
I would question why they chose to use SALES numbers rather than REGISTRATION numbers as a baseline ??
I would further question why they used fires after collisions which automatically excludes most EV fires which occur while charging ??
Sorry but I tend to discount most government figures. I do, however, know people who's HO insurance rates have risen b/c they have an EV in an attached garage. Insurance underwriters aren't in the habit of lying to themselves.

samhop:
Where are u getting the bs about fiers after collisions? or is that jest more of your free association. and yes actuary's project odds well and they dont lie to the underwriters insurance companies lie all the time to there customers thats how they make money buy misrepresenting the odds that some event will happen. you have yet to show any info that modern ev have a fire problem but you have a lots of obviously untrue reasons for not believing or discounting all the evidence showing that EV DO NOT have a higher fire risc its actually lower than ice and hybrid. yes there were some problems with VOLT and maybe others but your completely wrong and your argument makes no sense.
good day to you i wish you well

samhop

1st Mate
A broad brush statement. It is like stating that there is a correlation between gullibility, hubris and political beliefs. Easily lead people occupy broad political beliefs. I was a member of one political party for a long time...then I got a job paid taxes invested and realized I was wrong....so I joined another political party...its common really, once people realize that all the shit they thought was true might be a little more than a story line.
I have owned a Hybrid when they 1st came out in mass production. The hybrid battery died after 5 years. A replacement battery cost too much so I scrapped the car...Huge loss... I learned from the experience. I invested in a company that recycles electronics. The byproducts of the recycling process proved to be difficult to dispose of legally...and cost outstripped the profit margin. Now the company is in Asia. I learned from that. I am old enough to know that at some point the govt, based on past practice, would rather regulate American companies out of doing business in America to protect the environment in favor of importing from nations that massively pollute. I know it is cheaper to produce and recycle batteries in 2nd and 3rd world nations. I know Americans will buy whatever is cheapest. I fought in a war for oil. I know the govt will fight wars, corrupt govts and pick winners and losers to maintain cheap energy.
first and foremost - Thank you for your service.
That was a question not directed at anyone. I have worked in commercial fisheries since the early 1970 and in that time have met a lot of people with interesting beliefs most of the really far out ones share an inability to tell the difference between fact from fantasy. flat earthers, ludites, and extremist from all sides. jest an observation NOT an accusation.

Last edited:

Jason S

1st Mate
Lite User
First Name
Jason

Brooksie

Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Brooksie:

samhop:
Where are u getting the bs about fiers after collisions? or is that jest more of your free association. and yes actuary's project odds well and they dont lie to the underwriters insurance companies lie all the time to there customers thats how they make money buy misrepresenting the odds that some event will happen. you have yet to show any info that modern ev have a fire problem but you have a lots of obviously untrue reasons for not believing or discounting all the evidence showing that EV DO NOT have a higher fire risc its actually lower than ice and hybrid. yes there were some problems with VOLT and maybe others but your completely wrong and your argument makes no sense.
good day to you i wish you well
"The NTSB data said that after 41 fatal collisions involving BEVs, 1 caught on fire (2.44%). The NTSB data said that after 20,315 fatal collisions involving gasoline vehicles, 644 caught on fire (3.17%). The NTSB data said that after 543 fatal collisions involving gasoline hybrid vehicles, 12 caught on fire (2.21%),” What about non-collision fires, aka charging fires, I think by including collisions (when ICE vehicles catch fire) and excluding charging (when EV's go on fire) tells us all we need to know about this "study",

“But 41 crashes vs 20,315 crashes vs 543 crashes make it statistically irresponsible to compare these numbers. For example, if there was a 42nd crash with an EV and it caught on fire then it would be 4.76% of EVs or double the rate of hybrids. Until the sample size is the same and significant we just can’t say which will be worse or not,”

samhop

1st Mate
"The NTSB data said that after 41 fatal collisions involving BEVs, 1 caught on fire (2.44%). The NTSB data said that after 20,315 fatal collisions involving gasoline vehicles, 644 caught on fire (3.17%). The NTSB data said that after 543 fatal collisions involving gasoline hybrid vehicles, 12 caught on fire (2.21%),” What about non-collision fires, aka charging fires, I think by including collisions (when ICE vehicles catch fire) and excluding charging (when EV's go on fire) tells us all we need to know about this "study",

“But 41 crashes vs 20,315 crashes vs 543 crashes make it statistically irresponsible to compare these numbers. For example, if there was a 42nd crash with an EV and it caught on fire then it would be 4.76% of EVs or double the rate of hybrids. Until the sample size is the same and significant we just can’t say which will be worse or not,”
ok i see what your referring to and i agree that the study you are referring to is not statistically significant. NTSB also investigate incidents other than collisions. the study I am referring to is looking at how meany (fires for 100.000 vehicles in each category) when you quoted the info I posted I assumed you were referring to that study and not a different study like the one you posted above.
take care and safe Boating

Brooksie

Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
ok i see what your referring to and i agree that the study you are referring to is not statistically significant. NTSB also investigate incidents other than collisions. the study I am referring to is looking at how meany (fires for 100.000 vehicles in each category) when you quoted the info I posted I assumed you were referring to that study and not a different study like the one you posted above.
take care and safe Boating
Not only that, but by choosing to look only at crashes ending in fires (spilled gasoline), they are ignoring charging which is when EV's have their fires . A very biased selection or criteria and typical of organazations with an agenda..

Last edited:

novivin

Admiral
Lite User

subpixel

Deckhand
First Name
Ry
I regret not ordering an F-150 over a year ago - it’s the only model that appeals to me.

Maybe there will be some on the market in the next 6mos of folks are in a position where they can’t afford them.

I’ve been driving a plug-in hybrid for 18mos and it’s a game changer - I can drive 50 electric miles and a fill up monthly.

It’s going ton be years before I want to drive 6+ hours in an EV - public charging is a hot mess but it will improve. But short-haul? No reason for an ICE truck if you can get an electric in my mind. If.

Last edited:

Top Bottom