Electric Trucks - Who's Going to Jump In?

AJ2020

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Duffy 35
I would like to know the mileage numbers per charge of a full size electric truck with passengers pulling 7k pounds in the winter, not the number the manufacturer says it will get empty on a 68 degree day....its like EPA fuel economy ratings which are very optimistic....then u have the cost of charging it, the lifespan of the battery, the mileage tax that is inevitable and the dealer support....

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Dave588

Lieutenant Commander
Tax is bigger question than battery technology. When Govt wants green, they mean green in your wallet.
Straight electric numbers are impressive. I can see commuting with majority of expenses being tires.

Dslpwr

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
35' Mitchell Cove, 13’ Whaler
Anyone hear what the Feds or States are going to impose for a tax on electric vehicles yet? The loss of the Over the road tax at the pump is starting to add up.
Exactly! Didn’t we have this conversation? Also have anyone heard about the EPA going to a zero tolerance on any combustion engine modifications? Just think what this would do to the motor sports industry? SEMA has started the fight I think they are going to be the NRA for gearheads

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Dslpwr

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
35' Mitchell Cove, 13’ Whaler
Also (the rant continues) what about the revenue lost from taking this away. You kill the aftermarket, you slowly kill motorsports. How much tax money is made at a NASCAR race, monster truck rally, or NHRA drag race? What about the R&D? Formula 1 races hybrids, how much of that tech finds its way to the consumer.
Add snowmobiles, street bikes, dirt bikes, Atvs, and on and on

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I wouldn't want electric if I was doing more than 100 miles in a day. I think for my uses, which is way less than that, it'll be perfect. Electric heat isn't efficient, but not waiting 10 minutes for my vehicle to warm up will be great. I'm over diesels in cars as well, I'd never buy a new diesel truck, let's hope mine outlasts me. Hybrid will be a great solution for guys that need to put some miles underneath them. If the companies quick jacking around with big hp motors and gave the trucks decent toque and a higher range it would be a huge benefit to the buyer.
Exactly my thinking- 100%

Pricing is what bothers me about them- no mention of an S10 size electric for $28k instead its all monsters for 50 or more. To me it seems out of touch with the goal but I suspect ford knows what sells. Personally I wouldn’t buy any of these in their first, 2nd or even 3rd model years though- let them prove that they work and the companies are going to stick around to support them.

I like the sound of that little truck in europe—

China has added a tax to all of their gas/diesel vehicles that makes them more expensive than the new electric fleet so people are not forced to buy them but they are phasing out. Here it would be nice to see a tax deduction for buying one. Is that a thing anywhere?

Ol Gilnetter

Commander
Lite User

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
Top Bottom