Electric Trucks - Who's Going to Jump In?

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Towing sure is tough on mileage. I towed a 2 place snowmobile trailer 525 miles this weekend with my 2.7l ecoboost F150 and got an average mpg of 12.2 mpg. Truck get 21-23 on the highway no problem without the trailer.
was it a low clearance sled trailer. When I bought a four place trailer out west....the old-timer was trying to convince me not to get the full height.

Edit: I just saw your post

PatriciaLynn

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
I wouldn’t be surprised if gearing played into it. My Jeep mpg doesn’t change much towing but it has 3.73 gears.
12 mpg -> 8mpg? Hahahaa;) I have 3.55 I think, I disabled 9 and 10 gears on the highway to keep it spinning above 2k rpm and making power. Actually ran just fine with all gears available, forgot to even put tow haul on for the ride home, truck is great.

Woodvine

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Sea Ox 2300 Commercial
hybrid....a towing machine IMO. All the benefits of an electric motor torque and regen capabilities with a small diesel/gas generator onboard working at 80%load at its efficient happy place making up electrons when the battery becomes low.

I am interested in the potential of the new f150 3.5 "powerboost" hybrid, my father inlaw just ordered one, maybe he will let me tow the boat down the highway a few times and get some real world numbers. TFL tested that truck on a 100 mile highway loop but it didn't do any better than the normal 3.5 ecoboost.

The power and unlimited torque of all electric would be great for getting up to speed when towing on the highway its just the range that needs to improve.

My 2014 5.0 F150 with 3.55 rear end averages 17-18 mpg but with the boat its like 9-10 mpg on the highway. Definitely need that 35 gallon extended range tank for the long hauls.

PatriciaLynn

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
I want to see a truck like mine with the same engine mounted as a transverse front wheel drive and then just an electric motor driving the rear axle when 4WD is required or when you want extra power off the line for towing. Should a lot less rotating mass in the driveline, I would have to believe it would be worth a couple more MPG.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Canyondiver

Commander
First Name
John
always seems like "marketing" fucks with the engineers/mechanics dreams. If mechanics built trucks, they would have flat sides and be square.
And maintenance would be kind of fun, not a total PITA.

PatriciaLynn

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
When I had the Yukon XL I went to a website that calculated my annual savings if I went to an EV. Obviously it was a lot because I was driving a vehicle the size of Rhode Island with a V8. The Jeep does a little better on gas than the Yukon. So I think I would still have annual savings. If I went to a small compact car like a Ford Fiesta or Honda Fit I wonder if I would be better off than having an electric car. I can’t seem to find that website.
I drove a Honda Fit when I was commuting down to Boston every morning. Fun car to drive, not very fuel efficient on the highway. I blew up the engine on the way home one night, got myself a stripper model Jetta for $15,585 brand new, out the door. Faster, more comfortable, less fun to drive but about 4 mpg better. Good car.

tsharac

Commander
First Name
Tim
Boat Make
1976 20' Eastporter; 1976 16' Stratford dory
When I had the Yukon XL I went to a website that calculated my annual savings if I went to an EV. Obviously it was a lot because I was driving a vehicle the size of Rhode Island with a V8. The Jeep does a little better on gas than the Yukon. So I think I would still have annual savings. If I went to a small compact car like a Ford Fiesta or Honda Fit I wonder if I would be better off than having an electric car. I can’t seem to find that website.
Maybe this site?

Rockfish9

Lieutenant
First Name
Joe
I bought a Silverado 2500 in 2017, anticipating having it paid off and the last vehicle l buy before I retire, I ice fish, I tow a trailer In The mountains with a boat or 4 wheeler, I work out of my truck, I also have spent enough time around electric fork trucks and scissor lifts to know that a battery at %50, isnt reliable, so where does it leave us northerners that work and play outside 365 days a year..I know.. people alot smarter than me are working on it, I don't want to be 200 miles from home beside a frozen lake, no way to charge my battery when its single numbers or below zero..
There are many details to be worked out, I'm not sure if I ever will own an electric vehicle, father time may have the last word in that.. For now, I ( begrudgedly) pay 4 bucks a gallon ($112 yesterday for 2 weeks worth of dtiving) to fill my thirsty beast..but at least I feel safe and happy.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
WATCH:
A state-owned public transport operator in Paris, France, the Régie Autonome des Transports Parisiens, has pulled out 149 electric buses from its fleet after two of them spontaneously exploded within the same month.

The RATP decided to temporarily retire the electric vehicles after the second explosion occurred around 9 a.m. on April 29 near the François Mitterrand Library, according to reporting from the local newspaper Le Parisien and a RATP news release.

Footage of the bus engulfed in flames in Paris’s 13th arrondissement was widely circulated on social media.

A video by VIXX compiling the viral videos showed smoke emanating from the top of the bus, where the battery is located. The smoke gave way to an explosion and a shower of sparks that covered the vehicle’s mid-section and nearby areas.

Flames eventually engulfed the electric vehicle, and the ravaging inferno gave rise to tall columns of thick black smoke visible from surrounding areas, the video showed. The air was filled with the smell of burning plastic.

Fortunately, there were no casualties due to the fire. The bus driver was able to get out, the arrondissement’s mayor Jérôme Coumet confirmed.

Firefighters promptly responded to the incident. Authorities closed the nearby metro station from 9 am to 11 am to help them put out the blazing inferno, Le Figaro reported.

The bus that was engulfed in flames on April 29 and the one that caught fire earlier that month both belonged to the Bluebus 5SE series of the brand Bolloré, according to the RATP.

The RATP has requested the manufacturer to carry out a full investigation to explain the causes of the fire and provide the RATP with an action plan to bring the electric buses safely back into operation.

The two fires in Paris and similar incidents worldwide have raised concerns about the safety of electric vehicles amid a push toward making them replace those running on fossil fuels by activists and lawmakers.

The government of India last month urged electric motorcycle companies operating in the country to carry out voluntary recalls of their products.

The country’s authorities did so to ensure electric motorcycles were safe for consumers after a series of electric scooters caught fire in the country, the Indian newspaper The Hindu reported.

“Lithium has a natural affinity for fires,’’ Amit Das, the founder of the Indian multi-brand electric vehicle store chain Electric One, said, according to the Business Standard. Lithium is a common element in electric vehicle batteries.

Besides safety concerns, electric vehicles face other sets of problems, such as governments adding new taxes to compensate for revenue losses that came with incentives given to motorists for switching from gas/diesel-powered vehicles to electric ones.

On top of that are ethical concerns that arise due to the nature of the process of mining raw materials to make electric vehicles and the emissions involved therein & their disposal.

Bring your fare and marshmallows.

Top Bottom