electronics for seaway20

MikeTLive

Ensign
I've a seaway with non-functional electronics.
Radio doesn't transmit, but good antenna; humminbird fishfinder and an ancient plotter - no transducers. cables cut.

I need tips on radio, fishfinder/depth/sidescan and charting w/GPS.
I have $1-2K in gift cards at amazon, cabellas, dicks and a couple other places through work bonuses.

miketlive-albums-lobster-dreams-picture415-img-2883-first-seen-cl-many-months-before-i-bought-her-third-set-hands-kicker-left-along-way.jpg

Its smaller than I really want, but larger than I know how to handle, so having representative set of electonics to learn on and build from is good.

My end goal is to fish for EVERYTHING on a small scale,
much like a hobby-farmer/backyard-gardner compares to a full-scale operation. This little boat is my yard tractor. My training boat.

I want to rig like a commercial to but at the limit of a fishing to feed myself and my family.

I have a couple pots and will be looking for 8-10 more - but not till i get a davit and block rigged up. it doesn't have a hauler. that would most likely wait till another larger boat takes its place.

i'll trade more gift cards if you got what i need and will trade.
What I dont have is cash.

Last edited by a moderator:

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
I would contact Wharfrat. Best deal these days is a Garmin 740S, The S=Sounder which is extra. You can also add radar if you want. I just installed one and it is very easy install and a great touch screen unit.

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar
I would contact Wharfrat. Best deal these days is a Garmin 740S, The S=Sounder which is extra. You can also add radar if you want. I just installed one and it is very easy install and a great touch screen unit.

I was gonna recommend the same unit. Especially if you're looking to learn on these electronics for the future- if you look at what's currently on the market its all going the way of touch screens, better to jump on board now!

Throw in a little Icom fixed mount VHF and you're golden.

PS- on the Garmin touch screens- I was down fishing in Islamorada a few weeks ago on a 42 Center Console, outfitted with 2 big Garmin screens. This guy fishes hard, is hard on his equipment (recently had to reweld his T-top), but those Garmin touchscreens still looked great.

MikeTLive

Ensign
How well does a touch work with goop or gloves?
The some variant of lowrance elite was also suggested to me.

There's so many choices I'm paralyzed.
I want to see the bottom and structure and not hit the rocks.
I want to record my track and where I drop my pots or catch fish or observe something.

I want a tide and current display

It's like if I had an iSea: an iPad dock and marine protecting cover for the on the water.

Magnolia Sun

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Seaway 24' Hardtop Sport
Mike: Get the Gamin 740S & don't look back. I have the 720 & the 740S (both with the g2 Vision cards...btw there is a $200.00 on the g2 right now) on my Seaway 24' Can't say enough great things about the unit. Reliable, detailed & easy to use. You'll love it.

MikeTLive

Ensign
What other parts do I need to order to be functional?
I'm going to get the 740S from amazon but it not clear what transducer I would need. I was also looking at the passive GPS dome.. Is that going to make much a difference? Radar will wait till next year or next boat.

Magnolia Sun

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Seaway 24' Hardtop Sport
What other parts do I need to order to be functional?
I'm going to get the 740S from amazon but it not clear what transducer I would need. I was also looking at the passive GPS dome.. Is that going to make much a difference? Radar will wait till next year or next boat.

Mike: You do not need a GPS antenna. The internal is excellent by itself. What type of transducer do you want? Transom, Thru-Hull? Please advise.

duxbait

Captain
With a 20ft boat I recommend you get a transom mount transducer. I have always found it to just be simpler and works just as well

MikeTLive

Ensign
from the tips here, and the signs of previous mount, transom is the way for me.

just bought some abovewaterline paint at loews to fix up the scratched hull - its what was used before. also varnish for the non-white wood. most of the house will be my winter project. the front has some soggy parts along below the windows. so it will come off and a new one cut, primed painted and windows transferred.

im thinking a power washer might be a good idea for the fall bottom cleaning job then redo the antifouling paint too. new sacrificial anodes on the engine will be in order as well i think.. they look a bit pitted.

Magnolia Sun

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Seaway 24' Hardtop Sport
With a 20ft boat I recommend you get a transom mount transducer. I have always found it to just be simpler and works just as well

Agree with Duxbait. The Airmar P66 transom transducer has been in production for years & works well. I have had the P66 on 2 boats spaning over 10 years & never had one issue. Just make sure you paint the transducer with MDR anti-fouling transom paint to keep the growth off of it.

MikeTLive

Ensign
I'm finally home and ordering my parts. Been a long spring glad summer is here. I see te 741sx is shipping. It's 1699 on amazon from Abe's of Maine. 2-3days.
He's got good track record over the year vs others.

Having that extra 7bills, in thinking this is the way to go since in in for the long long haul.

Thoughts?

I've still got an old humminbird 300tx.
Can i use two at once? I'll need a txducer for it, too.

In thinking over night the TXDUCERs so I can get into water. Then can put in the garmin at dock.

Magnolia Sun

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Seaway 24' Hardtop Sport
Mike: Let me ask you, just how much fishing do you do? If [email protected] what depth? The 741sx has the "baby chirp" sonar. It's a better sounder then the 720s/740s...but do you really need it is my question. I doubt you'll need it. The Garmin 720s/740s is a bargain right now, plus the g2 Vision chart card has a $200.00 rebate going on right now. I have bought a few items from Abe's of Maine (no problems to report)

As I mentioned, I own the 720s & the 740s & love them both. The 741sx I would recommend if you're going to do radar down the road. I'm a "day" boater, so I simply don't need radar myself.

MikeTLive

Ensign
Response is a little disjointed. Sent from mobile And rewritten more than a few times.

I'm a day boater today - and this boats smaller than I want (as bigger than I know how to handle) but I want to deck it out and learn as if it were the next step up. I figure ill take the garmin with me to that next hop.
Radar will be an add-on later.

I've lived in scituate almost all my life and this is my first ocean boat.
I have spent hours studying coastal satellite and love the idea of creating my own chart of the bottom. Seeing for myself how the storms shift the bottom over time. Learning about the structure effects on the currents and eventually "seeing" the structure from the surface.

I work a day job all week so will be doing early morning or late-afternoons to get in what I can. If radar increases the hours I can be on water all the more reason to add it on.

I've never been sorry going one step up for the long term benefit, but frequently so when going one step down for the short term saving

I'm still learning and this boat has no functioning gear, so if I'm adding I rather the new generation for longevity and expansion.

It's getting paid for with amazon gift cards courtesy of years of unspent bonuses.
Next ill need a pair of rods w/reel.

Top Bottom