Ellis 20' / DE rot

Murphymendez

Ensign
Hello DEBF!

My first post and would appreciate any help you have to offer. I am in the process of buying a 20' Ellis (southwest Harbor, Me) and have been researching DE style boats. I have come across a few threads that seem to be tied to Eastern and Seaway discussing stringer rot in boats around 30 years old. Can anyone tell me if this is specific to those builds or something more common to the hull style at that age?

Any feedback greatly appreciated and I hope I have followed forum protocol with this post - please speak up if I have stepped on any toes!

Ian

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Welcome Ian to the Forum! I rebuilt my 20' Eastporter which is very similar to the 20' Ellis. The stringers, transom, sole etc. along with the wooden gunnels were replaced because of rot due to water intrusion. The boat was built in 1976 and when originally built they did not fiberglass the stringers, the gunnels, rubrails, etc. The transom had a plywood core that turned to mulch (literally) between the two fiberglass skins because the top of the transom was not fiberglassed correctly. Newer boats and boats that were built correctly (and sealed correctly from owner's drilling and mounting hardware) should not have this issue. A survey from a marine surveyor is worth it- especially if you are not familiar with boats and the boat is not being sold as a project.
Check out the build threads on here for my Eastporter, Midland rebuilds, and the 19' Seaway. The Easterns seem to have the best build quality- no rebuilds documented yet. Good luck with your purchase and keep asking questions and sharing photos.

Murphymendez

Ensign
Eastporter,

Thank you for the quick reply and very useful info. This will absolutely help in asking the right questions in addition to a survey.

Ian

Top Bottom