Ellis Boats??

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
There is not much mentioned about Ellis Boats on this forum or others.

Singer Billy Joel is a repeat customer of Ellis Boats. Ellis has built most if

not all of his DE beauties.

Ellis offers a nice line of DE boats.

Ellis Boat Company, Inc. • Custom Building Traditional Downeast Yachts for Over 50 Years

20,24,28,32,36 and a 40 footer.

Cruiser tops, lobster tops, flybridge etc.

Any of you guys up in Ellis' "neck of the woods" have any insight on the Ellis line??

Ride?, Wet?, Dry?, "Speeds?, anything ??

Bill D

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
There is not much mentioned about Ellis Boats on this forum or others. Ride?, Wet?, Dry?, "Speeds?, anything ??

Bill D
Well, at the top of the explanation list would be price. The same holds true for the bulk of the Island builds (Ellis, Hinckley, Morris, etc.)

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
Well, at the top of the explanation list would be price. The same holds true for the bulk of the Island builds (Ellis, Hinckley, Morris, etc.)
Second that. But man they are eye candy :eek:.

This was one of my first computer screen savers years ago... And I think I'm going to download it again now!

snowstorm

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
28 ellis
i have one. not new by any means. 1984 28' fly bridge 200 volvo. its not fast kinda slow but i have always had outboards. really good on fuel. i have had several people come up to me on the dock and say " thats a ellis" ok guess they likes it.

snowstorm

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
28 ellis
i went down to the ellis shop a few weeks ago. they gave me the grand tour. then showed me the paper work from when they built the boat. when new it had a bmw diesel. total price in 1984 was 67k when they had it for sale in the late 90's 120k.

duffy42

Lieutenant
Ref. most of Billy Joels boats bieng built by Ellis...I was aboard one of his boats for sale at Newport, dark green hull, all else was teak. It is a Jarvis Newman 46. At the time it had a pair of 92 series Detroits. Very pretty boat This was about 12-14 years ago.

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
Ref. most of Billy Joels boats bieng built by Ellis...I was aboard one of his boats for sale at Newport, dark green hull, all else was teak. It is a Jarvis Newman 46. At the time it had a pair of 92 series Detroits. Very pretty boat This was about 12-14 years ago.
The "Alexa" is a 36' BHM as well. I think he had that one built after the 46' Jarvis. Predictably there were writeups on both boats in various magazines back when they were finished.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
The "Alexa" is a 36' BHM as well. I think he had that one built after the 46' Jarvis. Predictably there were writeups on both boats in various magazines back when they were finished.
I stand corrected,
Joel's last boat was an Ellis launched in 2008
A "retro look" 36 footer named the "Argos"

Also there's an article of Joel taking delivery of a 28 ft Eliis lobster boat 10+ years back.

Just Launched: Billy Joel's New Boat -- Argos | Maine Boats Homes & Harbors

http://www.maineboats.com/online/boat-features/boats-of-the-year-2008?page=02%2C4

Last edited:

Duke

Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
Dyer 29

noreaster

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Viking 43 SOLD, now looking to DE
Do we think Billy Joel knows anything about boats? Competency or fame in one field does not correlate to knowledge about anything else in any other field. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of his competency when it comes to boats, other than the ability to write large checks?
Duke
Who cares? He clearly loves the classic lines and doesn't build them himself. I think the stories are cooler than a big named pro golfer having a huge mega yacht. He writes big checks to boat builders and that is not a bad thing for the industry, and then the press Maine builders get is probably not so bad either.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 268 Islander, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Getthenetmontauk

Lieutenant
His boat Argo was in Montauk last fall,when you see it you know somebody knows something about boats,All his boats are top notch,If you haven't seen his boats why be a hater.

Duke

Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
Dyer 29

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
i cant see why anyone would question if he knows anything about boats or not, we dont have any reason to believe anything one way or the other. anyway! when i was working at a marina in boothbay the summer before i went to college he stayed there one night on the boat pictured in the link. i passed by him walking down the dock, but at the time i was 18, and i didnt really know anything about him so it really didnt seem that big of a deal. i wish i could go back and at least say hi and ask him about the boat. His captain was wicked nice though.

Billy Joel's 'Redhead' (New England)
Jeeze, sorry I started this thread and brought up Billy Joel's name as a guy who likes and owns DE boats !!! LOL !!!!!!

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland
Top Bottom