Ellis Boats

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Does anyone have any experience/input on Ellis boats? Specifically the 28? A friend is looking at one and I told him I would reach out here for opinions. TIA

snowstorm

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
28 ellis
i have a 28 fly bridge with a 200 volvo. what do you want to know?

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Well, I guess your overall feelings, pros, cons , speed, how it rides in a sea, etc. Looking at them, they are pretty for sure. But it doesn't look like a lot of boat under the waterline to me. I don't know a thing about them, but I do know this is the best place to look for answers. Thank you.

snowstorm

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
28 ellis
about the only thing i really dont like about it is the lack of head room in the pilot house. but i am 6'3". it is slow but the good thing about that is it burns very little fuel. i have had several people come up to me on the dock and say " that's a ellis" they know how to build a boat. mine was built in 84 looking at pictures of some newer ones they dont seem to have as much wood in the pilot house and below. beating in to a head sea its good following sea not so good. handling around the dock isnt to bad. i put a lh prop on it and a little bigger dia and that helped a lot. i talked to don ellis at the boat show several times. nice guy. i went to there shop and they gave me the tour of the place and the history of my boat. so now i am on there Christmas card list

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
How fast with the 200? They claim some pretty good speed with 260. Saying it will cruise 20 easily.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Thanks guitarman, I forgot about that one. Funny thing is, I had the boat you were looking for. MY first boat was a 29 Dyer Trunk cabin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom