John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
The Brand New Mataura Boat

I'm not a big fan of the angled forward windshield. I'd like the face of the bridge to be the same angle as the wheelhouse windows. I saw one like that on a Wesmac in NC.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
You have to know what you are doing to make an enclosed bridge look good. I definitely agree that SNAPPA's bridge needs some stylistic improvement that would have made it look much better. The enclosed bridge is nice for those that need more cabin room (no helm below), and need the visibility of a bridge without having to be out in the weather. Where I fish in Alaska, I need great visibility without being out in the weather. Typical summer weather for me is wind of 10-20 knots, air temp of 45-55 degrees, some days rain, some days sunny. An enclosed bridge is very tempting and would be very user friendly for me, but a tall pilot house would work good too. Thanks for the pictures.

terrace

Lieutenant
Boat Make
radon
The Brand New Mataura Boat

I'm not a big fan of the angled forward windshield. I'd like the face of the bridge to be the same angle as the wheelhouse windows. I saw one like that on a Wesmac in NC.

My boat has three forward facing windows like that it makes a lot of room electronics. BUT while anchored it does not lay straight into the wind . Seems like the wind will catch the center and port window then switch to center and starboard

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
The lower the better between the weigh & windage on a DE a will take the wheel house as my primary station and a nice opened bridge for the blue bird days.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Here is a drawing I came up with. Still trying to decide what I'm going to do. The enclosed bridge from a functional stand point would sure be nice. The challenging part is getting the lines right so it looks good.

38 Bridge.jpg

Scotth

Lieutenant Commander
I am liking the top house version. After our first season on a top house boat in Bristol Bay, I don't think my dad or I will ever go back to a flybridge. No need for redundant controls, all electronics are inside out of the weather. Skipper is out of the weather and can be on station at all times, really good visibility. Just need good windows, wipers (bus style) and a good defroster to keep your windows clear at all times.

Of course your boat now has a pretty tall cabin and good vis.

Last edited:

Dave Wynn

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
H&H 32 Desperado
I am sorry but a flybridge on a DE just does not work. It just takes away for what the boat is suppost to be a DE. If you need a fly bridge buy a production boat. Just my opion

Last edited:

Tmccar1

Lieutenant
Website
www.EastCoastWreckDiving.com
Boat Make
Magna
I like the Cape Island Novi solution... Beastly. Although to be fair that a 50'x25'.
full_f_5923_v_1034_42.jpg

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Scott- I hope the new boat worked out good for you guys this year, sounds like you enjoyed the boat. We got the best price for our sockeye since 1988 at $2.20/lb.

Dave- Not sure why a bridge wouldn't work on a DE boat, mine worked great this season. The visibility from the bridge on my Wesmac was amazing, and good visibility will make a guy money and keep him out of trouble. And there is no such thing as a "production boat" for Alaska commercial fishing, so that isn't an option for us ;). Every new boat built for Alaska is custom designed and outfitted according to the needs/desires of the owner. In the Alaska salmon fisheries, we have wind, rain, and cool weather in the summer (some mornings on the water are in the low 40's with wind and sometimes rain). So it's nice to be able to get out of the weather and still have good visibility of the boats and nets all around you. How we use our boats and what we need from our boats is completely foreign and very different than most east coast fisheries. Fly up to Bristol Bay or Cook Inlet and go out on a gillnetter, and you will see how valuable a bridge can be.

Top Bottom