engine box seat & storage

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
Thought it was time I share something after years of watching everyone else's projects and asking as many questions as possible etc.
In an effort to add storage and seating I initially used marine ply to build a tackle storage and seating area above my engine box. But after a few years its leaking and just simply to heavy so I tore it off the box and decided to do it the right way with Glass etc. I went a little bigger as well the console will serve as a backrest facing backwards on the engine box and a seat on top facing forwards. On the inside facing back will have 12 tackle trays on one sides and a few draws on the right and in the front a compartment for buckets on one side and ropes& bumpers on the other.

I started with a mold

image.jpg

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
Popped it today after cutting the doors out and sat it on the engine box to take a look.

image.jpg

eyschulman

Commander
Boat Make
Devlin 48 & Marshal Sanderling
Very good. I believe too many try to nix the box. Its hard to get good exhaust geometry in many boats with under floor mounting and the box can solve that problem. I believe if you are going to have a box make it work for you as you did. On my boat with big twins the boxes became seating and extra beds allowing for high dry risers and good down hill exhaust geometry which would not have been possible without boxes.

Last edited:

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
I have a question.

When your box on top of your engine box is full and the shit hits the fan how quick can you clear both boxes to get to the engine? For example I had the aftercooler serviced by a good mechanic on my old 28' Cape Dory. He did not tighten the drain plug. It happens. The next time I used the boat I got just outside the inlet and boat started to act not right. I had put a drain the cabin to the bilge for cleaning the cabin. There was water coming out of the drain. I was able to quickly lifted the engine box. Close the the saltwater intake and opened the valve to the hose with a intake in the keel. The engine pumped the boat out.

If I could not get the engine box cleared in a hurry the out come would have been different.

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
I have a question.

When your box on top of your engine box is full and the shit hits the fan how quick can you clear both boxes to get to the engine? For example I had the aftercooler serviced by a good mechanic on my old 28' Cape Dory. He did not tighten the drain plug. It happens. The next time I used the boat I got just outside the inlet and boat started to act not right. I had put a drain the cabin to the bilge for cleaning the cabin. There was water coming out of the drain. I was able to quickly lifted the engine box. Close the the saltwater intake and opened the valve to the hose with a intake in the keel. The engine pumped the boat out.

If I could not get the engine box cleared in a hurry the out come would have been different.

The box with the old seat use to hinge up with the assistance of gas pistons but it was way too heavy and if I was in rougher conditions I always had to worry it my topple down on me.
Part of this design the box top will be glassed down to the engine box and it is lighter than the old one but your right it needs to be easy to remove. The front of the actual motor box will be able to hinge up or pop off and the entire box will slide backwards. The engine box sits on a mahogany trim around the engine hole so it won't be sliding directly on the deck.

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
Gel coated the inside other than the bottom 3" then flipped it and glassed it down to the box

image.jpg

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
I removed the front of the box and had to remove some of the coring and glass it all in as the motor has a high spot and in order to slide the box back the coring had to go.

image.jpg

cb34

Rear Admiral
box

Great work, just wondering if you will have enough clearance to add sound down to the under side of the box?

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
the next step is to look into sound reduction the clearance will be tight or I may even have to skip that one area if its too tight. I haven't had insulation in there before and the new motor is pretty quite but I defenitely want to quite it down some more. Anyone have a suggestion of what to use that comes relatively thin?

bub147

Lieutenant
Same Theory

I just saw this thread for the first time. My engine box has the same theory ... Its a seat in the front and a cockpit helm station on the back. The port hole is for a GPS and the starboard has the throttle , jog lever, and thruster control. These pics are pre-awlgrip. We just finished it so Ill take some post finish...

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
Haven't been able to put in a lot of time but finished with glass and Gelcoat. Picked up a sheet of 1/2" starboard for doors and tackle trays etc

image.jpg

cb34

Rear Admiral
Engine box

Good looking work, I had to re-do mine to accommodate my new exhaust rise.

151.jpg

152.jpg

154.jpg

Latest Posts

Top Bottom