Engine Oil

Northern bay

Lieutenant Commander
Just curious guys what are you using for diesel engine oil in your boats?

Caterpillar tells me to only use their DEO (of course) for warranty purposes, but I'm getting tired of paying the upcharge. Does anyone know whose oil they use?

I've run Rotella for years when I had a pair of Macks and I'm thinking about going back to it. Or possibly it's already in my engine...LOL

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I am fairly confident that Cat DEO is Mobil Delvac 15W-40. I have been using it for a few years now.

bluefin650

Commander
I am using Volvo VDS 3 in my KAMD 42.

I will be running a cummins QSC 8.3 this year and was wondering what other people were running in theirs. I haven't seen what the Manual requires yet.

Beamie

Commander
All the Government owned ships I have worked on have a contract with Shell. Some of these ships have Cats. So the warranty issue is BS.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
NAPA 40 weight in 671 TI's

Pedlyr

Captain
If I remember correctly, CAT 3126B's require a single viscosity oil for warranty purposes. That is where the "DEO" comes in.

8943post

Commander
Boat Make
33 Duffy
Bobistheoilguy.com has all the answers to any possible question about lubricants.

Rotella T 15/40 for diesels and Rotella T5 semi-synthetic for equipment we use in the winter.

Last edited:

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
If I remember correctly, CAT 3126B's require a single viscosity oil for warranty purposes. That is where the "DEO" comes in.

This was for the 3116 and 3126 SAE 30 or 40 only as the additives in the multi-grade was clogging the aftercoolers and turbos.

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
I think the issue with rotella single wieght was the API CF 4 rating that is no longer done. but This is what I found FWIW "SHELL ROTELLA T SAE 30W
Intended Use:
Mixed fleets combining large over-the-road diesel trucks with smaller diesel and gasoline-fueled light trucks and passenger cars; *Heavy equipment used for construction, mining, or quarry operations – in engines, transmissions, and hydraulics systems; *Detroit Diesel two-cycle engines (series 53,71 and 92); heavy-duty automatic, and powershift transmissions specifying Allison C-4 fluid or use of API CF-4, CF-2, CF or obsolete CE, CD and CC engine oils; Farm equipment with diesel or gasoline engines; *Mobile, marine, or stationary diesel engines (except those with silver bearings) in severe service or applications calling for API CF-4 engine oil."

I use rotella 15-40 LOL

VPC

Lieutenant Commander
oil

here's my experiences and also from "oil people" rotella sold everywere not bad oil, delvec less oil smoke seems to be a cleaner oil to run in both my volvo and cat, my oil of choice texaco ursa hard to get but it seemed my engines performed better with it has anyone used synthetic in their diesels if so please comment thanks

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
I've used Rotella T, Mobile 1, Ursa, Delvac, Caterpillar oil, Detroit Diesel oil, Castrol, Valvoline, Quaker State and Pennzoil. I've seen no discernible difference other than the weight of my wallet.

The Mobile 1 bottles seemed to fit the best waiting in storage on board. Rotella T being second place in that particular category. The Caterpillar/Detroit Diesel oil was by far the least expensive (unless you factor in the fuel used to go to and win those particular lobster boat races... the scale tips severely if one does that). Ursa had been on the shelf for a while and seemed to work alright, wasn't a bear of a job to change the oil. Quaker State made me hungry for oatmeal, easily taken care of when the larder was raided on board.

They all taste terrible and are a pain to clean out of the bilge. Used Mobile 1 does a particularly swell job of ruining socks and deck shoes when you're filling up the pail someone gave you for the oil change while you were down in the hell hole running the pump, guess it's my fault since I didn't inspect it down there in the dark... Damn hole, took all the fun out of the oil change.

Oil seems to be oil. If you have a product that really works for you and you absolutely MUST have, go for it. Just my observation.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Been using Chevron Delo 400 forever, used it in my 6-71, volvo and now in the Deere. Costco or walmart carries it here. Use it in our cars and trucks also.

Top Bottom