Engine Painting

Capt. Lou

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
40 H&H "Julia G"
Among other projects this winter/ spring i have been thinking of painting my engine. Any advice? wash/ sand/wipe/ paint?? anything besides the obvious9wires, alt, hoses, etc..) to look out for. type of paint?

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
depends what you want your results to look like. i soda blasted mine, washed with water and vinegar cut, used DEP purple greaser and washed them about 7 times with a long hair medium stiff brush. and used CAT spray can on top of spray can primer. I taped off everything minus filters. NOt perfect but much better. I figure its something i have to do every 3 years to keep them clean.

catbeforepaint.jpg

catafterpaint.jpg

Last edited:

Capt. Lou

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
40 H&H "Julia G"
i was wondering if it would be safe to use a blaster. i guess soda would be the safest. I was thinking of using a high pressure steam cleaner. i guess like painting anything its all in your prep work..

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
3 points with soda, counter acts acids in the bilge. Not to abrasive. Dissolves with water and vinegar for easy cleanup pump out. No vacuuming sand.

Beamie

Commander
Geez Jersey,

I thought your engine looked pretty damn clean before you repainted.....you must have been bored and looking for something to do.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Some sexy 3208t's

i just repainted mine this spring as well.
My course of action was zep degreaser in a spray bottle, a light spraying down with ram soap then sprayed with cat spray paint. Obviously masked off wires, cables, serial# plate and plugged the air intake with a rag and blue masking tape.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
Some sexy 3208t's

i just repainted mine this spring as well.
My course of action was zep degreaser in a spray bottle, a light spraying down with ram soap then sprayed with cat spray paint. Obviously masked off wires, cables, serial# plate and plugged the air intake with a rag and blue masking tape.

did the same, one of the things i laughed about is when i peeld off the 3m tape it took the zf trans id plate with it

atlanticblue

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
35 ft Bruno Stillman
Have seen it a couple of times ! With the previous owner and back when it was set up as a stick boat! Good looking boat!

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Detail and nice paint job gives great protection and a pro look. Cleaning requires sanding, wire wheel and a solvent wash before any paint is applied. Because some of the rush will be hard to remove & I assume that you are painting your motor installed it requires care.
Once cleaned well the best primer I have found to use is Rust-Oleum, Rusty metal primer. I would brush the primer on for a nice heavy protective coating.
Next is your color which should be the original engine manufactures paint in a spay. Tape off all surrounding areas before spraying. I also like to place the spray paint in simmering pot boiling water. The hot water expands the propellant in the spray can, which give a very nice spray pattern with few drips and sags in the paint. Once done remove all masking tape and top the job off with a good clear coat paint. Over spray from clear coat will not be notice.
Clear coat also works well on the unpainted motor mounts and hydraulic fitting That you may not want to paint and keep rush free.
The photo is my motor after ten years installed. Like new thanks to clear coat.

Picture 031.jpg

storm 089.jpg

Picture 4902s.jpg

Latest Posts

Top Bottom