Engine room lights?

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Just put one Lumitec Nevis and 3 small rails lights in my bilges.

Made an angles bracket mount the Nevis on so its basically under my feet at the helm angled down at 45* and slightly towards the center of the boat. The rest are just on the bottom of the deck facing down.

Engine Room | Lumitec Lighting

Went for these because they are rated for my gas engine room and very small/bright plus got a great deal on them from Precision and shouldnt ever have to change the bulb. Also burn cool so you dont burn your arm working down there.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
lights

Just put one Lumitec Nevis and 3 small rails lights in my bilges.

Made an angles bracket mount the Nevis on so its basically under my feet at the helm angled down at 45* and slightly towards the center of the boat. The rest are just on the bottom of the deck facing down.

Engine Room | Lumitec Lighting

Went for these because they are rated for my gas engine room and very small/bright plus got a great deal on them from Precision and shouldnt ever have to change the bulb. Also burn cool so you dont burn your arm working down there.

how much $ were the nevis

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
Got some LED fully potted lights, $19.83 a pop, free shipping direct from Larson Electronics, I tested one when I first got it, really bright, will post some pics of them lighted at night in the next week or so. I plan to put three on each side of the engine room and two forward, two aft. Power consumption is 0.13 amps at 12v x 8 = 1.04 amps total power draw and based on what I saw when I tested one of them I expect they will really light up the engine room from all angles, no dark spots. Polycarbonate lens, aluminum housing, fully potted.

Larson Electronics LEDSM60-WH-12V

Description copied from Amazon.

Surface Mount LED Light - Machined Aluminum - 12 & 24 Volts DC - 60mA draw - Courtesy or Down Light(-White-12 Volts). Buy American Compliant. The LEDSM60 LED Surface Mount Flood Light is designed as an extremely efficient and versatile lighting solution for boat walkways, cabin areas, navigation areas, docks and other areas where low voltage is available. This LED floodlight produces 225 lumens of light with a 0.13 amp draw on 12 Volts DC and covers approximately 20 feet of area. This high intensity surface mount LED light has 15 fully potted LEDs housed within a weatherproof brushed aluminum fixture that features a small profile for easy and unobtrusive mounting in tight and space limited areas. These lights feature several color options including white, red, blue, green and amber . These units are configured to produce a wide flood pattern, making them a good choice for illuminating hallways, engine rooms, closets and for use as general area lights in cabins. These LED flood lights operate on 12 or 24 volts DC and are ideal for use in areas where space is limited and low voltage the only power source available.These units are fully sealed, weatherproof, and constructed of machined brushed aluminum with a polycarbonate lens cover for extreme durability. Measuring only 1 3/4" in diameter and 3/4" in total thickness, these compact units are designed for surface mounting in either interior or exterior applications. The low 0.13 amp draw on 12 Volts DC of these LED lights makes them ideal for low power applications such as those found at docks and on sailboats where solar power is used to power low level area lighting. 12 volt models come standard with 2 simple through holes for mounting.

Larson electronics down light photo.jpg

Last edited:

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
how much $ were the nevis

That one light was expensive. I think over $100 even at Precisions price so not cheap but in keeping with the LED plan. That light that Chortle posted looks like a home run to me. I would have to find the invoice and at this point I have spent so much that one light is hard to remember.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Here it is on the little pvc bracket I made. Should just look over my shoulder when I am down there.

image.jpg

Top Bottom