EPIRB or PLB?

Alisske

Lieutenant
What if you get knocked out and boat goes down. That cat 1 epirb can save your life. While a plb is great to have, a properly set up cat 1 epirb is the way to go, especially offshore.
Yeah. The knocked out part and getting tossed in the water is true. Having worked commercial boats and spent many hours out far, its my belief that if I am knocked out and Thrown off the boat hundreds of miles out, I’m as good as dead anyways.

I was teathered to boat, but Still

You can maybe cite studies and CG safety stuff. But in reality, my opinion is your a goner

synergistic

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44 wedgeport
Yeah. The knocked out part and getting tossed in the water is true. Having worked commercial boats and spent many hours out far, its my belief that if I am knocked out and Thrown off the boat hundreds of miles out, I’m as good as dead anyways.

I was teathered to boat, but Still

You can maybe cite studies and CG safety stuff. But in reality, my opinion is your a goner
You probably are, I figure with a cat1 Atleast they know where and when you sank, and maybe they’ll find your body for family. I guess in a perfect situation with a cat 1 boat goes down instantly, it pops off u can focus on getting into a raft. And maybe you have a shot.

PBianculli

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Phil
Boat Make
26’ Fortier
I suggest both if you are going offshore, just in case. Although not a replacement for either, an AIS flare is an option also. It will show anyone close to you with AIS your position

P18Flirt

Commander
Lite User
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
Pointer 18 / BHM 28

Spence

Commander
I bought a McMurdo Plb from Gulf Coast Avionics with a promotion of free batteries for life. When the 5 year-$75 battery was due to be replaced, said I had to have filled out a form that they claimed came in the box. After multiple phone calls and emails both vendor and builder failed to meet their promise. Clearly I'm better off not having either company involved in my safety gear and won't do business with either again.

TWF27214

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
272 Grady White Sailfish
I always thought EPIRB was the best even though I never had to use one in an emergency situation. I sold my CAT1 with my last boat and ended up never replacing it for my new one. Technically I need a CAT2 but I have a PLB, Garmin Inreach, and handheld radio with GPS. Those all are on or near me offshore in a way that an EPIRB may not be and when I fish on someone else’s boat I bring on or a combination of the 3 and i can add my numbers to their float plan. I’ll get an EPIRB at some point soon to be compliant but in my opinion what I have is more accurate and safer so I’m happy to be offshore where I go with what I have. The other members here who fish with me know I’m anal/over the top with safety for what it’s worth.

Top Bottom