EPIRB service

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by xbskt, Jan 21, 2019.

1. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    This EPIRB came with my Northern Bay. It is dead as a doornail. The expiration date is in 2014.
    Is it likely that a servicing and new battery will bring it back?
    If yes, anybody have a recommendation for a place to do the job? Preferably on Cape or nearby.
    Thanks for any input.

Attached Files:

2. Genius

Genius Captain

Can't help with a location. But, I would bet a new battery would bring it back to life. Does it have a self test function, did you try it?

3. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    Yes but it's response was a feeble beep and then nothing so I think a battery is a given to begin with. I can access authorized service online through ACR but I was wondering if anyone has had good luck with a certain place.

Genius likes this.
  4. aegus15

aegus15 Senior Member

Retired, local 17 Boston
    Boat Make:
    35 Duffy / 18 Eastern
    LRSE, in Tivertin RI, I used them, worked out great, you may be able to mail it to them...401-816-5400 or send to me , I can bring it down to them

Wharf Rat and Regman99 like this.
  5. Regman99

Regman99 Senior Member

Boat Make:
    38 Northern bay / 22 Webber Cove
    Agree with LRSE... very helpful in the past

6. Captinlon

Captinlon Senior Member

Boat Make:
    32 H & H
    From what I have seen with cost to service and replace battery might be better off just buying a new one with a warranty. just my .02

7. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Yes it's probably the battery. they are only good for 6 years. Don't forget to register it so they will have all your contact information etc.

8. restless

restless Captain

You will probably have to replace the hydrostatic release as well.[check the date]. I would get a price quote before committing to any thing.

9. jig boat

jig boat Member

Might try Hercules in New Bedford.

10. Bill_N

Bill_N Captain

Boat Make:
    31' JC Rowdy Girl
    Hercules replaced the battery in my Epirb several years ago. Sent it out and had it back in a week.

11. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    Talked to LRSE today. They have a flat rate of $260 for ACR EPIRB servicing. That includes round trip shipping and they supply a FEDEX shipping label via an online form you fill out. I did not ask about the hydro release but the said they call to discuss what they will do before they begin and will say if any additional costs will be involved. I am pretty sure I will need a new housing as mine looks cooked from UV. A new one is $400-$500 depending on model so I rehab this one.
    Seems pretty straight forward.
    I seem to remember having my liferaft off my Blackfin repacked there once back in the day.
    I will be updating the registration info so worst case they aren't calling the old owners wife. Not sure how that goes but I get the jist that the form is online with NOAA.
    One thing at a time.

RickC137 likes this.
  12. synergistic

synergistic Senior Member

Boat builder/ commercial fisherman
    Boat Make:
    44 wedgeport
    Cape fish in Chatham handles battery replacements too. If your housing is cooked I wouldn’t bother and buy a new one. As for hydrostatic release you can just buy those at cape fish as well. I have a brand new hydrostatic release and an epirb in over all good shape that needs a new battery that I’m selling. I bought a new one from a friend. If you’re interested in either let me know

13. capt38

capt38 Member

Boat Make:
    31' Eastern
    I just replaced my hydro release, bought it on online for $89.00, and had it a couple of days. Very easy to replace.

14. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    It is gone to LRSE. I filled out their form online and they emailed me a FEDEX shipping label. They will call to discuss what they will do when they have checked it out.
    So far, very easy.

15. Bill_N

Bill_N Captain

Boat Make:
    31' JC Rowdy Girl
    Let us know if there are any surprises

16. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    LRSE received it on Thursday midday and called me around 4PM same day. Tech. gave me his assessment and will replace the hydro as expected but otherwise he expects a standard cleaning, service and battery replacement. He thought the housing looked OK and not burnt from UV but if it is done for under closer inspection they might have a replacement for me kicking around at a discount.
    So far so good.

Wharf Rat and Genius like this.
  17. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    LRSE is a great company, have worked with them plenty in the past with life raft servicing and always have been on point. That said if they run into any unexpected issues that need to be addressed bringing up the cost, although I doubt it will happen, ask them about the ACR Globalfix V4 as a full replacement rather than buying a replacement housing. You could still use the EPIRB you have as a 'CAT 2' with just the bracket or in a ditch back, use the V4 with a Hydrostatic housing your primary. Has a 10 year battery life with a USER replaceable battery, plus a 66 channel GPS sensor that makes GPS acquisition from a cold start a hell of lot faster than the older 'GPS EPIRBs.

aegus15 and xbskt like this.
  18. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    LRSE called and said it is all set. Cleaned, new battery, new hydro, tested to be fully functional. Old enclosure was fine so it is being shipped back to me ready to go for quite a while.
    All in with hydro and return shipping was 399. Some will say I could have paid less or done some of it myself but I believe in paying for good service when the price is fair to try and help keep these places in business for when I really need them to be there.
    Still slightly cheaper than new but I also like that it is original to Merlin and the good Karma that comes with that.
    Now to figure out the registration ID change with NOAA...

RickC137 likes this.
  19. aegus15

aegus15 Senior Member

Retired, local 17 Boston
    Boat Make:
    35 Duffy / 18 Eastern
    Well worth it, and yes very good Karma.....I did the same with one I bought from a member here , it was brand new but 3 years old, never on his boat....brought it down to LRSE, installed new battery while I waited and sat me down to register it to Pointer, actually pretty easy to do, you should nt have any problem with registering it... online they walk you right thru it. .......just need to find the right place to install it.
    And yes I could have done all this myself and saved some money but they are very easy to work with, they took care of repacking my life raft and they are local. Certainly not worth worrying if you did something right or wrong when it comes to SAFETY !

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  20. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Yep you did it right. You should be good for 6 years. You should check that with them though. Carma is everything.