Epirb

Madchark

Commander
What is the current commercial requirements with the CG pertaining to having an EPIRB on a 33 ft boat and are there any changes coming in the future. Class II or Class I auto deploy.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Considering the cost for a CatI with hydro I would get one of those regardless of requirements. Think about it, its cheap money ($500.00) for a guaranteed rescue anywhere you go.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Considering the cost for a CatI with hydro I would get one of those regardless of requirements. Think about it, its cheap money ($500.00) for a guaranteed rescue anywhere you go.
Come on the hydros dont work you should know that lol

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
Spend the Money

Purchase a 406 Cat 1 with a Rapid Fix Global Positioning System. These newer Cat 1 Epirbs provide a better signal for rescue platforms than the older versions which only sent a signal as the satalite made an orbit around the earth. I just finished reading the Deadliest Sea which is about the sinking of a factory trawler in the Bearing Sea in 2005. With 47 POB on board there were six people lost due to water in imersion suits from not being zipped up properly, tears in suits and crew not making it into the life raft. EPIRBS played a part in this rescue and helped save people along with flashing strobes on survival suits not just cheap lights. I recommend anyone who gets a chance to read this book go ahead and enjoy it.

With over 30 years in Coast Guard and responsible for the maintenance and testing of survival gear on Coast Guard boats and ships in my career I will stand by and say hopefully you will never need one piece of that expensive equipment but when you do there is nothing better than up to date inspected equipment that your crew is trained to use.

As far as cost for batteries and inspections of life rafts, it is what it is and the batteries are rated for five or six years so even expensive they do last. Many other things are expensive also that we purchase but they may not save you from dying.

Dave

Madchark

Commander
I believe that that the CAT II is more accurate than the CAT I. Within 9 ft of the signal where the CAT I is not. Anyone have the exact distance for the I.

Madchark

Commander
Just going by some info that I recieved at the local big box store. There was a ACR CAT I for less money that a CAT II and I asked why and the rely was that the CAT II was more accurate. Maybe it was just that specific model?? I can build a pretty good boat but anything electronic takes me a bit. LOL

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Todd - Dave is correct. CAT 1 is manual or auto deploy and CAT 2 is manual only, but they both provide the same 406 MHz signal. Options like GPS help to provide more accurate tracking info, and the secondary 121.5 MHz signal is used for the search team to home in on your position once they get into the area. I recently bought an ACR AquaLink PLB-350C Cat 1 with the GPS option, and I bring it with me regardless of which vessel I'm on. They have a great web site and provide rescue stories that make you glad to have one on board. PLB or EPIRB provide the same signal and accuracy. EPIRB can transmit longer before the battery dies. Choice is up to you. I believe that any charter work requires the EPIRB. In your big box story above, I would have to say that the Cat 1 (manual or auto deploy) was actually cheaper than the Cat 2 (manual deploy) because of the GPS option. That would make the Cat 2 more accurate in this case and drive the price up a bit.

Last edited:

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Kodiakan

Commander
Todd - Dave is correct. CAT 1 is manual or auto deploy and CAT 2 is manual only, but they both provide the same 406 MHz signal. Options like GPS help to provide more accurate tracking info, and the secondary 121.5 MHz signal is used for the search team to home in on your position once they get into the area. I recently bought an ACR AquaLink PLB-350C Cat 1 with the GPS option, and I bring it with me regardless of which vessel I'm on. They have a great web site and provide rescue stories that make you glad to have one on board. PLB or EPIRB provide the same signal and accuracy. EPIRB can transmit longer before the battery dies. Choice is up to you. I believe that any charter work requires the EPIRB. In your big box story above, I would have to say that the Cat 1 (manual or auto deploy) was actually cheaper than the Cat 2 (manual deploy) because of the GPS option. That would make the Cat 2 more accurate in this case and drive the price up a bit.

I also have a ACR PLB. Its in one pocket of my ditch bag and a waterproof VHF in the other sides pocket. My buddies know that whenever i'm along I'll be draggin that little yellow bag along. Many of the recreational boats here don't have an EPIRB on them. Also, when the boats EPIRB fails to deploy I'm not out of luck. Winter finds it in my bedroom as I live in an active seismic area, and thats probably more than you ever wanted to know about that!

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Yup. It's in the ditch bag along with a hand held VHF and a hand held GPS. Always a good backup. BTW - The PLB is great for snowmobiling too. The mobility is what sold me on it over the fixed mount EPIRB. Hopefully you will never have to be dug out of a pile of rubble in the off season!

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
You guys have it right i know 6 guys and 3 boats lost to hyro not working and thats like the last 8 years and all whent down within 30 miles of home. Be safe boys

Madchark

Commander
Thumbs up on the mini PLB, have two on the boat.

Now that we have gotten some info on both the CAT I and CAT II, who perfers what one and why. I know some post already stated some reasons, but just trying to get a larger consensus.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
You guys have it right i know 6 guys and 3 boats lost to hyro not working and thats like the last 8 years and all whent down within 30 miles of home. Be safe boys

Goog, that really sucks. Seems like a very high percentage of the hydro release units are transmitting much too late, if at all. How many times have we heard stories like that? ".......days later a signal was received......." Personally, I would not wait for the auto deploy to work if things were looking pretty ugly. You have the option for manual deployment as well. Unless the fit hit the shan so quickly, I think I would have that unit out of the mounting bracket and in my hand, just in case. It's really bad to lose anyone, let alone just 30 miles off where a timely rescue is quite possible.

Top Bottom