Ever add a bunk over a V berth? Pics?

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Thinking about doing this in my boat. Not a complete V but one bunk to starboard from the front of the head to the anchor locker door. Need to sleep one more but the V is so small because the bow is so sharp (compared to my old planing junk) that i need a bit more space.

I could fit a bunk there and it would be more than 6' long but the height from the top of the V to the cabin top is 43" so dividing that in half would leave about 21" from the bottom bunk to the bottom of the new bunk and that is not including the cushions.

Would love to see some pics if anyone has em. Thanks

5akman

Commander
Website
www.alldrinsalmon.com
Boat Make
40' Snowball gillnetter
3 bunks forward and, as any horizontal surfaces are fair game, they are filled with junk! The owner took the poles when I bought the boat but left the rest of the junk there......

IMG_1079.jpg

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Yes, like that but imagine the bunk at the lower level being the V berth and the bunk on the left not there at all.

I could probably do some thing like that but would be really odd looking. You still have it that way? Do people like it or hate it? Looks odd in the sunlight but there is nothing better than your own rack.

BTW, please dont throw me that ring if I am drowning. It would just be a tease I think.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
Last edited by a moderator:

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
My NB 36 is set up this way - 2 bunks over the VBerth - I'm 90 miles away from the boat and away from my pictues but can take you some detailed ones this weekend if you are interested. I use 1 side for junk up top but still can sleep 3 comfortbly in the canyons; 2 below and 1 above.

5akman

Commander
Website
www.alldrinsalmon.com
Boat Make
40' Snowball gillnetter
Yes, like that but imagine the bunk at the lower level being the V berth and the bunk on the left not there at all.

I could probably do some thing like that but would be really odd looking. You still have it that way? Do people like it or hate it? Looks odd in the sunlight but there is nothing better than your own rack.

BTW, please dont throw me that ring if I am drowning. It would just be a tease I think.

It worked great this summer for 3 of us, myself (265lbs), my son (190lbs) and NatGeoWild cameraman at about 180lbs. You just can't all bail out of the bunk at the same time!

The life ring is just for you to hold onto so your survivors have a body to bury......!

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
4 of my last 5 boats have had over & under bunks. When I'm onshore, I have to hit myself on the head in the morning in order to feel I am awake.
The smallest of my past boats had a portion of the uppers bi-fold down to make a seatback.
Not much of a picture but here are bunks in my 36' Willard:

047.jpg

Madchark

Commander
Heres another one of the Emily Rose to show the final layout. As Bryan stated, he was catching some Z's on this past trip and I could not believe he fit up there. Also works out well for stowing gear and rods out of the way.

Picture 469.jpg

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Brooksie- the scale of your bunks are more like what I am thinking. The top I would build would be about 3' wide and sort of a parallelogram shape from the forward wall of my head to the anchor locker bulkhead. Long sides would measure 6'6" but the head height would be just 18" or so after a cushion is added.

Madchark

How close to the floor is the V bunk? You must have some big boat. My Sisu is so pointy that the V is really small.

Top Bottom